Sep 1.jpg

image018Martins Bank’s presence in Birmingham begins almost a year ahead of schedule in 1935 with the opening of City Office Branch premises at Colmore Row.  The following year sees an expansion of service with further Birmingham Branches at Jamaica Row (Markets) and at Warwick Road, Tyseley. 

Sep 1.jpg

Extracts from Martins Bank Limited Annual Report and Accounts for 1937 © Barclays

Sep 1.jpg

X

Image © B T 1936

 

 

1966 Refit and Rebuild MBM-Au66FC.jpgAltogether Martins operates ten Branches and sub-Branches in Birmingham, although several are closed or moved to different premises well before the 1969 merger of Martins and Barclays: -  98 COLMORE ROW, MARKETS, TYSELEY, FIVE WAYS, HOCKLEY HILL, KINGS HEATH, SMALL HEATH, HOLLOWAY CIRCUS, EDGBASTON (Replaces Five Ways Branch), and DIGBETH (Replaces Markets Branch).  When war is declared in September 1939, Tyseley joins a long list of Martins’ branches that are mothballed for the duration of the war but then not reopened. There will not be another new branch in the City until 1954 (Birmingham Five Ways).  We would love to find a period image of Tyseley sub-Branch, and If you can help with images and/or information about this or any of Martins Bank’s 980+ other branches, please do get in touch with us at the usual address: gutinfo@btinternet.com. 

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-088 Tyseley

Sub to 11-088 Birmingham City Office

823 Warwick Road Birmingham 11

584 Midland

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

ACOcks Green 0317

Counter Service only

Mr George Ball Manager (City Office)

Sep 1.jpg

11 May 1936

September 1939

opened by Martins Bank Limited

Closed for World War 2 but not re-opened

Gutinfo.jpgM