Sep 1.jpg

Image not availableimage054Martins Bank’s presence in Birmingham begins in 1935 with the magnificent City Office premises at 98 COLMORE ROW.  From then until 1967 the Bank continues to consolidate its position by opening a further nine branches: MARKETS, TYSELEY, Five Ways, HOCKLEY HILL, KINGS HEATH, SMALL HEATH, HOLLOWAY CIRCUS, EDGBASTON (Replaces Five Ways Branch), and DIGBETH (Replaces Markets Branch) King's Heath. In 1964 the Broad street and Five Ways area of the City is redeveloped, and Five Ways Branch is closed. This is to make way for the famous (and some migh say infamous) Bull Ring Shopping Centre, which in the twenty-first Century has itself been bulldozed and replaced! 

Sep 1.jpg

The Bank’s business transfers to a nearby newly built branch at Edgbaston. At the same time Martins’ branch at Birmingham Markets is also demolished to make way for the Bull Ring Centre, and is reopened at Smithfield House, Digbeth. Sadly we have still to trace any images of Five Ways Branch which was open for ten years from 1954, but some members of the staff are featured in our gallery below.  If you can help with memories or pictures of Birmingham Five Ways Branch, 1954-1964, we’d love to hear from you at the usual address: .

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1954 to 1959 M Hollway First Manager here MBM-Su68P12.jpg

1961 to 1964 Mr W E Clowes MBM-Sp67P04.jpg

No image silhouette.jpg

1947 to 1956 Mr R W A Burns joined the bank here MBM-Wi61P45

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg






Mr M Hollway

First Manager Here

1954 to 1959

Mr W E Clowes

On the Staff


Mr T Collingwood


1959 to 1963

Mr R W A Burns

Clerk in Charge

1963 to 1964



Sep 1.jpg




Index Number and District:






11-60-30 Birmingham Five Ways

Full Branch

140 Broad Street Birmingham 15

--- Midland

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

021 454 0937/8

Nightsafe Installed

Mr R W A Burns Clerk in Charge (1964)

Sep 1.jpg



Opened by Martins Bank Limited

Demolished and business relocated to Edgbaston