Sep 1.jpg

The rise and fall of Martins Bank in Birmingham…

image068Martins Bank’s association with the City of Birmingham begins in 1935 with the establishment of Birmingham City Office at 98 Colmore Row.  Birmingham Markets, (later moved to Digbeth), and Tyseley follow in 1936, although the latter is closed at the outbreak of World War II and does not re-open.  In 1954 the Bank opens Five Ways Branch (which is replaced by Edgbaston in 1964), and Hockley Hill Branch opens in 1956.  Small Heath follows in 1961, Holloway Circus in 1962 and King’s Heath in 1967, consolidating the position of Martins Bank in the City. 

Sep 1.jpg

1960 Birmingham Small Heath Exterior BGA Ref 30-244.jpg

Image © Barclays Ref: 0030/0244

 

Sep 1.jpg

1960 Birmingham Small Heath interior BGA Ref 30-244.jpg

The merger with Barclays spells the end for a significant number of Martins outlets in the Midlands and the South, and many of its Birmingham branches will be closed by the 1970s.  Small Heath is originally scheduled to remain open after the merger, but is closed by the end of 1970, because of the sheer duplication of suitable Barclays Branches in the Birmingham area.

Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank’s Midland District is large, and a number of Branches are actually newer, better modernised or better positioned, than their Barclays counterparts. Of these, Worcester High Street, Coventry Cheylesmore, Northampton Drapery, and Stourport on Severn are all still open, but sadly not one of the ten original Birmingham Branches is open for banking, apart from 98 Colmore Row, which is an office of the West Bromwich Building Society. Martins Bank Magazine does not visit Small Heath, but we do have a small number of staff images for our gallery below…

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1961 to 1968 Mr A S Dennett Manager MBM-Su68P23.jpg

1968 Mr DB Woolgar Manager MBM-Au68P07.jpg

1968 to 1969 Mr B W Evans MBM-Su69P14.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpgSep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr A S Dennett

Manager

1961 to 1968

Mr D B Woolgar

Manager

1968 onwards

Mr B W Evans

On the Staff

1968 to 1969

 

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-96-70 Birmingham Small Heath

Full Branch

350 Coventry Road Small Heath Birmingham 10

589 Midland

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

021 772 3624

Nightsafe Installed

Mr D B Woolgar Manager

Sep 1.jpg

1961

15 December 1969

11 December 1970

Currently

opened by Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-08-97  Birmingham Small Heath 380 Coventry Road 

Closed

Shops

Gutinfo.jpgM