Sep 1.jpg

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Sep 1.jpg

This is Martins Bank’s Canning Place Branch, opened in 1927 by the Bank of Liverpool and Martins. However, the business of this Branch begins a little earlier – in 1900 – as Liverpool Custom House Branch at 21 Park Lane, opened by the Bank of Liverpool. You can see a separate page for Custom House Branch, and although no photos of the original buidling have so far surfaced, there are some pictures of the staff. 

Sep 1.jpg

Meanwhile, back at Canning Place Branch, it is February 1964, and Mr F W Cowan is about to retire after what are described as forty-five extremely happy years with the bank.  As usual on these occasions, Martins Bank Magazine is there to record the gossip…

Sep 1.jpg

1960 ish Canning Place. Exterior BGA Ref 30-1660

Image © Barclays Ref 0030/1660

Sep 1.jpg

1964 02 MBM.jpg1954 to 1964 Mr F W Cowan Manager MBM-Su64P55.jpgon his retirement as Manager of Canning Place branch at the end of February, Mr F. W. Cowan asked that formalities should be kept to a minimum and so it was that only a small gathering of present and past members of his staff were at the branch when Mr I. Buchanan (Liverpool District General Manager), on behalf of many sub­scribers, presented Mr Cowan with a cheque and thanked him for all he had done within the Bank and outside it; as an active supporter of the Operatic Society and founder of the Managers' Club he had made and kept many friends and the same could be said of his Toe H and National Savings Committee interests and of his connection with the Club Ship Landfall. Mr Buchanan, reminding his listeners that Mr Cowan had already worked for more than his allotted span, concluded by wishing him and his wife every happiness. Mrs Cowan was presented with a bouquet by Miss V. L. Ceilings. Mr Cowan responded with sincere thanks to his branch colleagues in particular and to all those who had enabled him to enjoy 45 extremely happy years in the Bank. The cheque would enable him to buy a bureau, as henceforth he would have to write all his letters, and later in the evening when Mr and Mrs Cowan with their daughter Susan entertained a large gathering of old friends on c/s Landfall he was heard to tell them that he had been presented with 'a desk in an envelope'. Mr Cowan entered the Bank in 1919 at Liverpool Foreign branch and his career took him to Walton branch and Secretary's Department before he became Clerk-in-Charge at Booker Avenue in 1939. Afterfour years in H.M. Forces he returned in 1946 to Booker Avenue and was appointed Manager of Scotland Road branch the following year. He took over the management of Canning Place branch in 1954.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1954 to 1964 Mr F W Cowan Manager MBM-Su64P55.jpg

1964 Mr ALD Carson Manager MBM-Su64P04.jpg

1964 to 1966 Mr J W Tickle MBM-Su66P06.jpg

1965 Mr JD Home Manager MBM-Sp65P06.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr F Cowan

Manager

1954 to 1964

Mr A L D Carson

Manager

1964 to 1965

Mt J W Tickle

On the Staff

1964 to 1966

Mr J D Home TD

Manager

1965 Onwards

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-48-20 Liverpool Canning Place

Full Branch

32 Canning Place Liverpool L1 8EU

13 Liverpool

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

051 709 6966

Nightsafe Installed

Mr J D Home TD Manager

1900

 

18 December 1918

1927

3 January 1928

15 December 1969

20 February 1984

Currently

Originally opened as Liverpool Custom House Branch

at 21 Park Lane by the Bank of Liverpool

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Business moves to 32 Canning Place

Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-50-68 Liverpool Canning Place

Closed

Unable to trace this address

Gutinfo.jpg