Sep 1.jpg

Almost ready for business…

Sep 1.jpg

image006A shiny new branch of Martins Bank is built across the road from its predecessor, and opens in 1968.  Martins Bank has operated a branch in Southgate Street since 1956, a Sub Branch at gloucester Cattle Market since 1961, and another at Hucclecote Trading Estate since 1965.  You might well ask why the Bank has gone to the trouble and expense of moving their main branch from a site they have only occupied for twelve or so years, and to a location that is only a few feet away? 

 

Sep 1.jpg

1968 Gloucester 8-10 Southgate St Nearly Ready - BGA Ref 30-1064

Branch Images © Barclays Ref 30-1064

The reason, (and this is the first of its kind we have come across), ensures the well designed and shiny new premises you see here, above and below:

Finishing touches – inside AND out…

Sep 1.jpg

Following a damning report from the Bank’s inspectors, which criticise the existing premises at 9A SOUTHGATE STREET as “unfit for use as a bank”, Martins takes the decision to open new premises across the road. We don’t have a record of what the inspectors thought of the NEW building, (which as with many of Martins’ mid to late sixties builds, tends to favour modernity above traditional style), but the day is saved with the commission of a fine ceramic artwork depicting Gloucester cathedral, and the following description of the Branch:

Sep 1.jpg

‘A SHOWPIECE OF MODERN BANKING ARCHITECTURE’

Sep 1.jpg

 

image006This description was given to our new Gloucester branch premises when they opened last year.  The outstanding feature is the Isora Leaf-Lite ceiling, only recently introduced into this country from America.  Hundreds of pieces of metal, each about six inches square, are suspended from the ceiling to diffuse the light from above.

Sep 1.jpg

These colour images of the banking hall have been kindly provided by the ceramics artist Philippa Threlfall, whose imaginative interpretation of Gloucester Cathedral once again shows Martins commitment to putting something back into the local community.  You can see more of the items commissioned by Martins and made by Philippa on our CHELTENHAM and BRISTOL CLIFTON pages.

 

1968 Gloucester Interior Philippa Threlfall.jpgSep 1.jpg

Martins Bank Gloucester1

Sep 1.jpg

1968 Artwork for Branch Interior Philippa Threlfall.jpeg

Sep 1.jpg

The Isora Leaf-Lite™ Ceiling is noted as an outstanding feature…

 

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1965 Mr VAJ Yate pro Manager  MBM-Wi65P06.jpg

1966 Anne Davies Cashier MBM-Wi66P42.jpg

1965 to 1968 Mr D J Stewart MBM-Wi68P06

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr V A J Yate

Pro Manager

1968

Anne Davies

Cashier

1968

Mr D J Stewart

Sub branch Clerk in Charge  1968

 

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index No and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-02-40 Gloucester

Main Branch

8/10 Southgate Street Gloucester

175 South Western

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Gloucester 24066/7

Nightsafe Installed

Mr M W Thompson Manager

Sep 1.jpg

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-02-40 GLOUCESTER CATTLE MARKET

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-02-40 GLOUCESTER HUCCLECOTE

 

1968

15 December 1969

6 July 1979

opened by Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-33-84 Gloucester 8-10 Southgate Street

Closed

Gutinfo.jpgR