Sep 1.jpg

image026Martins Bank’s Branch at 9a Whiteladies Road opens a year after the start of the Second World War.  Seen above in the 1940s, the building is charming and like many of the Bank’s Branches it enjoys a corner aspect.  Thanks to the work of our friends at the British Newspaper Archive, we are now able to bring you a variety of Branch opening announcements and advertisement from the 1920s up to the 1950s.  This particular advertisement appears in the Western Daily Press on18 March 1940, announcing the opening of the new Branch.  Clifton is handy too, for employees of the BBC whose Western Regional Service on 276 metres broadcasts from a studio just down the road at 21/23 Whiteladies Road, so who knows which famous broadcasters might have popped in to cash a cheque from time to time? The South Western District of Martins Bank is the newest (and therefore most short-lived) of its business regions.  What is lost in that sense is more than made up for by a flurry of activity in the South West in the mid to late 60s, which sees a programme of rapid expansion, with many new Branches, and the refurbishment or complete rebuilding  of others. 

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

1950 s Bristol Clifton Exterior 1 BGA Ref 30-428.jpg

Image © Barclays Ref: 0030/0428

 

The South West certainly does intend to go out with a bang… Then of course, 1960s architecture and building policy arrives, sparking change (and raised eyebrows to this day) across the UK, and the refurbishment of Martins’ Bristol Clifton office in 1968 becomes another prize for Barclays – a similar “Branch on a plate” arrangement to Martins’ Branch at EATON, Norwich.  The makeover means that this bright and shiny new office is ready for the seventies…

Sep 1.jpg

Branch Images © Barclays Ref: 0030/0428

Newspaper Image © Northcliffe Media Limited Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD Image reproduced with kind permission of The British Newspaper Archive

www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

 

1968 Bristol Clifton Interior 2 BGA Ref 33-104.jpg

1968 Bristol Clifton Interior 1 BGA Ref 33-104.jpg

Images © Barclays Ref: 0033/0104

1966 Artwork for Branch Philippa Threlfall.jpeg

Clifton, along with the Branches of the Bank that have been rebuilt and/or redesigned at CHELTENHAM and GLOUCESTER, benefits from Martins’ policy of commissioning new artworks, designed to reflect local life or history.

Sep 1.jpg

All three receive newly designed pieces by the ceramic artist Philippa Threlfall, by whose kind permission this colour photo is shown.  The ceramic mural represents the history and trade links of the City of Bristol.  The fate of Philippa Threlfall’s artworks for Martins Bank remains something of a mystery, and there is an appeal from Philippa in our MOST WANTED section…

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1941 to 1943 Mr A J A James joined the bank here MBM-Su64P05

1953 to 1954 S J Beese joined the bank here MBM-Sp68P06

1953 to 1962  Mr P H Mellor Clerk in Charge MBM-Au66P04

1960 to 1966  Mr M J M Anderton  MBM-Wi66P04

1966 Mr JA young pro Manager MBM-Wi66P04.jpg

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr A J A James

Joined the Bank Here

1941 to 1943

Mr S J Beese

Joined the Bank Here

1953 to 1954

Mr P H Mellor

Clerk in Charge

1953 to 1962

Mr M J M Anderton

On the Staff

1960 to 1966

Mr J A Young

Pro Manager

1966

 

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-92-20 Bristol Clifton

Full Branch

9a Whiteladies Road Bristol 8 Somerset

160 South Western

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Bristol 34975 / 34075

Nightsafe Installed

Philip G Jones TD Manager

Sep 1.jpg

10 March 1940

15 December 1969

9 February 1979

Currently

opened by Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-13-39 Bristol Whiteladies Road

Closed

Various Businesses assigned to this address

Gutinfo.jpgR