Sep 1.jpg

Palatine Bank

Sep 1.jpg

Shaw is one of the first Branch offices of the Palatine Bank, becoming part of the Bank of Liverpool and Martins, and later a full branch of Martins Bank Limited. Sadly, Shaw is closed in June 1969,  some six months ahead of the integration of the majority of Martins Branches with those of Barclays. Our research into this office has only provided us with one staff image, and  although there are no features in Martins Bank Magazine, Mrs Hilda Gray (pictured below) is featured in a post-war article “Gentlemen, the Ladies” which looks at the role of women in running Martins Bank’s smaller branches during World War Two.  You can read more about this in our MARTINS AT WAR feature.  The origins of Shaw branch are mentioned in the following short extract abridged from FOUR CENTURIES OF BANKING  Vol II, published by Martins Bank Limited 1968…

Sep 1.jpg

Seventy Years’ Service

Sep 1.jpg

{The Palatine Bank was incorporated on 30 August 1899 and commenced business on 6 November 1899.  The first statutory meeting was held on 15 December 1899 and the first annual meeting on 25 January 1901.  Of the initial capital of £1,000,000 half was soon subscribed with £62,000 paid up.

Sep 1.jpg

Image © Barclays Ref 0030/2596

 

 

Branches were opened at Oldham, Shaw, and Rochdale, followed by four smaller branches in the southern suburbs of Manchester near Moss side and Fallowfield.} {The Palatine Bank’s Head Office was opened in small premises in Cross street Manchester,}{with a total staff of five}.

 

Sep 1.jpg

image016

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

Mrs Hilda Gray

Clerk in Charge

1942 to 1946

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-71-70 Shaw

Self Accounting Sub to 11-55-60 OLDHAM

9 Market Street Shaw Oldham Lancashire

510 Manchester

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Shaw 7496

Nightsafe Installed

Mr S M Dearden Manager (Oldham)

November 1899

30 December 1919

3 January 1928

June 1969

Currently

opened by the Palatine Bank

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Closed

Bertoni's Ristorante

Sep 1.jpg

Gutinfo.jpg