Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank 1928+

Sep 1.jpg

When the Bank of  Liverpool and Martins amalgamtes with the Lancashire and Yrkshire Bank in 1928, the newly created Martins Bank sets about consolidating its new Branch network. The Lancashire and Yokrshire Branch in Manchester’s Harpurhey is closed at 148 Rochdale Road, and moved to No 176, where it remains until 1952, when it is moved once again! Our extracts here show evidence of this Branch at both ends of its life.

Sep 1.jpg

Extract from Martins Bank Annual Report and Accounts for 1928 © Barclays

Image © BT 1951

Sep 1.jpg

From the records we have, it appears that Harpurhey is run as a full Branch under the management of Mr A Shelmerdine until the move in 1952 to 778 Rochdale Road – from then on Harpurhey is a self accounting sub-Branch to Queen’s Park Branch. This part of Manchester has seen major redevelopment since the 1960s, and Rochdale Road bears little resemblance now to how it looked back then. Our gallery below features those staff for whom we have photographs, who worked at Harpurhey up to 1952.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1930 to 1934 Mr W A Grundy MBM-Su56P48.jpg

1932 to 1936 Mr H Johnes joined the bank here MBM-Su65P03.jpg

1938 to 1939 Mr J Pendlebury MBM-Sp67P03.jpg

1949 to 1950 G Farrow MBM-Su68P12.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

Mr W A Grundy

On the Staff

1930 to 1934

Mr H Johnes

Joined the Bank Here

1932 to 1936

Mr J pendlebury

On the Staff

1938 to 1939

Mr G Farrow

On the Staff

1949 to 1950

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-544 Manchester Harpurhey

Full Branch until 1952

176 Rochdale Road Manchester 9

739 Manchester

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

COLlyhurst 2031

Nightsafe Installed

Mr A Shelmerdine

Sep 1.jpg

1928

1952

Moved from 148 to 176 Rochdale Road by Martins Bank Limited

Closed and Moved to 778 Rochdale Road by Martins Bank Limited

Gutinfo.jpgx

<<,