Sep 1.jpg

Extract from Martins Bank Limited Annual Report and Accounts for 1940 – © Barclays

Sep 1.jpg

 

Image © Kelly’s Directory of Durham 1914

Sep 1.jpg

The North Eastern Banking Company opens a sub-Branch at Wrekenton in 1910.  Four years later the Bank merges with the Bank of Liverpool and its branches begin their journey to becoming part of the Martins Bank we know in the 1960s.  Wrekenton unfortunately doesn’t make it quite that far, a small cull of Martins outlets between 1956 and 1960 sees to that, with the branch bowing out in 1958.  Too small to be seen on our map, Wrekenton is about two miles south of Gateshead, and about a mile from its parent branch at Low Fell.  It is interesting to note that there don’t seem to be photos of any of the branches that close at this time, so we live in hope that Martins filed them somewhere that is still to be discovered!   Kelly’s Directory of Durham for 1914 spells Wreckenton with a C before the K, but the accepted and current use spelling has no C.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours (1914):

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-489 Wrekenton

Sub to 11-489 Low Fell

175 High Street Wrekenton County Durham

341 North eastern

Mon and Thu 1130-1330

Saturday 1100-1200

Not listed

Counter Service Only

Mr T A Bews Manager (Low Fell 1958)

1910

7 August 1914

18 December 1918

3 January 1928

1958

2015

Opened by North Eastern Banking Company

Bank of Liverpool

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Closed

Gutinfo.jpg