Sep 1.jpg

A picture containing text, outdoor

Description automatically generated

Sep 1.jpg

Wrescam is one of three trading estate branches run by Martins Bank.  The first, at GATESHEAD TEAM VALLEY is a large office built on a sprawling new industrial estate in 1938.  In 1947 it is Wrexham’s turn, with a branch on the new trading estate.  A previous sub branch had been opened in nearby Overton on Dee in 1923 but this was closed by 1931.   Wrecsam Trading Estate branch survives a little longer, being closed down in 1957, and Martins waits another eight years before opening at HUCCLECOTE TRADING ESTATE in Gloucester in 1965. 

Sep 1.jpg

In Service: 17 July 1947 until 1957

Sep 1.jpg

Image © Martins Bank Archive Collections – Advertisement re-mastered 13 May 2020

Sep 1.jpg

The success of any “specialist” branch depends on how it can sell itself to the customer, and on the actual business traffic in the area.  Many branches of this type have ended up being little more than experiments, but for all that, they were at least worth a try. The opening of Wrexham Trading Estate Branch is announced in the local press of North Wales and Cheshire over the weekend of 26/27 July 1947.

 

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

Martins Bank Limited 11-889 Wrexham Trading Estate

Sub to 11-889 Wrexham

Wrexham Trading Estate Denbighshire

50 Liverpool

Thursdays 10am to 12 Noon

No Saturday Service

Dutton Diffeth 59 (later 258)

Counter Service only

Mr K Harris-Hughes Manager (Wrexham 1947) 

Wrecsam Cattle Market

17 July 1947

1957

opened by Martins Bank Limited

Closed

Wrekenton (Gateshead)

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

Sep 1.jpg

M

Sep 1.jpg