Sep 1.jpg

1960 s Wyke Exterior CU BGA Ref 30-3307

Image © Barclays Ref 30-3307

Sep 1.jpg

The Halifax Commercial Bank merges with the Bank of Liverpool and Martins in 1920 and so begins the journey of its Branches into the ownership of the modern day Martins Bank Limited.  The office at Wyke lies some six miles south of Bradford and there is also a sub branch at Low Moor.  Wyke opens in 1907,  and Low Moor, a few years earlier in 1901. At the time of the merger with Barclays in 1969, Wyke is open full banking hours across the six day banking week.  The branch is still open today. For our feature, we journey back to 1955, where it is the turn of Mr Williamson, Manager of Wyke and Low Moor for nearly twenty years, to retire.  As usual, the occasion is marked within the pages of Martins Bank Magazine…

Sep 1.jpg

1955 02 MBM.jpg1936 to 1955 Mr H W Williamson Manager MBM-Su55P53.jpgMr. H. W. Williamson, Manager of Wyke and Low Moor branches since 1936, retired at the end of March. He entered the Equitable Bank in 1910 and was appointed Accountant at its Huddersfield office in 1927. The following year he was appointed Pro Manager at Westgate branch, Huddersfield, remaining there until his appointment to Wyke.  By his express wish there was no formal presentation or gathering of former colleagues, but many of those who had served with him joined in the present of a cheque which was handed to him on the day of his retirement. Miss Attenborough presented Mrs. William­son with a bouquet and the staff were invited to tea in the Manager's room. In the evening Mr. and Mrs. Williamson entertained the staff with a visit to a theatre. Mr. and Mrs. Williamson are going to live at Grassington in the near future.

Sep 1.jpg

1960 s Wyke Interior BGA Ref 30-3307

Image © Barclays Ref 30-3307

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1915 Mr W Simpson joined the bank here MBM-Au59P57.jpg

1915 to 1922 Mr J Tyne joined the bank here MBM-Wi59P50.jpg

1917 to 1928 Mr F W Hall joined here and left 1928 to join Lewis's Bank MBM-Sp62P24.jpg

1922 Mr A K Sykes joined the bank here MBM-Au66P48.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Mr W Simpson

Joined the Bank Here

1915

Mr J Tyne

Joined the Bank Here

1915 to 1922

Mr F W Hall

Joined the Bank Here

1917 to 1928

Mr A K Sykes

Joined the Bank Here

1922

Sep 1.jpg

1936 to 1955 Mr H W Williamson Manager CU MBM-Su55P53.jpg

1939 to 1939 Mr F S Pitts joined the bank here MBM-Sp64P05.jpg

1946 to 1947 Mr R G Thackeray MBM-Sp67P06.jpg

1948 to 1952 Mr B W Broadley MBM-Au66P54.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Mr H W Williamson

Manager

1936 to 1955

Mr F S Pitts

Joined the Bank Here

1939 to 1939

Mr R G Thackeray

On the Staff

1946 to 1947

Mr B W Broadley

On the Staff

1948 to 1952

Sep 1.jpg

1955 to 1965 Mr M Coates Manager MBM-Sp65P04.jpg

1965 Margaret shaw Cashier MBM-Wi65P42.jpg

1965 Mr KR Terry Manager MBM-Sp65P06.jpg

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

Mr M Coates

Manager

1955 to 1965

Miss Margaret Shaw

Cashier

1965

Mr K R Terry

Manager

1965 onwards

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-74-90 Wyke

Full Branch

5 Town Gate Wyke Bradford Yorkshire

613 Leeds

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Bradford 676786

Nightsafe Installed

Mr K R Terry Manager

1907

1920

1928

15 December 1969

?

2015

opened by the Halifax Commercial Bank

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-99-04 Wyke

Moved to No 9 Town Gate

Yorkshire Building Society

Gutinfo.jpg