Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank 1928+

Sep 1.jpg

The Bank of Liverpool opened the original West Derby Branch at 23 MILL LANE in October 1893. By the early 1930s the local economy warrants a change to newer and larger premises, so Martins Bank takes up residence in this splendid “wedding cake”-like / Art Deco style building at 39 Mill Lane. Perhaps business has remained good, as it is still open today as a Branch of Barclays.

Sep 1.jpg

1950 s Liverpool West Derby Exterior BGa Ref 30-1692.jpg

Image © Barclays Ref 0030/1692

Sep 1.jpg

There are no official visits to West Derby recorded by Martins Bank Magazine, but we have managed to unearth the retirement write-up for Mr J R Calvert, Manager of West Derby from 1933 to 1954.  It is unusual to find such a report without an accompanying picture of the member of staff, but this is one of those occasions. At the time of his retirement Mr Calvert is in poor health, and this may be the reason for not including a photograph…

Sep 1.jpg

At the end of August, Mr. J. R. Calvert retired after 43 years' service, the last twenty-one of which have been spent as Manager at West Derby branch.   He entered the Bank in 1911 at Central branch, and went to Charing Cross in 1916. From 1917 to 1919 he served with H.M. Forces, afterwards returning to Charing Cross. In 1923 he was transferred to Central branch again and in 1927 he went to Garston as second man.   His appointment as Manager at West Derby came in 1933. At the close of business on August 31st a brief ceremony was held in the branch for the purpose of making him a presentation of a standard lamp on behalf of his colleagues, past and present. Mrs. Calvert, who entertained those present to tea, was presented with a sheaf of gladioli. Mr. Calvert has not enjoyed the best of health latterly and, in sending him the good wishes of all his colleagues at Head Office, we join with them in expressing the hope that, with no business cares to interrupt his hobby of gardening, he will soon be his old self once again and enjoy many happy years of leisure.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1905 Mr A D Thomas joined the service here MBM-Au47P14.jpg

1910 to 1921 Mr J B Drewsen Manager MBM-Su46P18.jpg

1919 to 1922 Mr R H Price MBM-Au47P10.jpg

1938 to 1939 Mr W S M Wilson MBM-Au66P06.jpg

1941 to 1941 joined bank here then 1964 Mr WJ Bass pro Manager MBM-Au64P06.jpg

1960 to 1964 Mr R F Dixon pro Manager MBM-Au64P03.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr A D Thomas

Joined the Bank Here

1905

Mr J B Drewsen

Manager

1910 to 1921

Mr R H Price

On the staff

1919 to 1922

Mr W S M Wilson

On the staff

1938 to 1939

Mr W J Bass

Joined here 1941 to 1941

Pro Manager 1964 to 1966

Mr R F Dixon

Pro Manager

1960 to 1964

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1965 Miss D Bradley Cashier MBM-Sp65P37.jpg

1966 Mr DG Telfer Manager MBM-Wi66P05.jpg

1966 to 1968 Mr J W Tickle pro Manager MBM-Su66P06.jpg

1967 Mr CD Mawdsley pro Manager MBM-Su67P07.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Miss D Bradley

Cashier

1965

Mr D G Telfer

Manager

1966 onwards

Mr J W Tickle

Pro Manager

1966 to 1968

Mr C D Mawdsley

Pro Manager

1967

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

MARTINS BANK LIMITED

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

Martins Bank Limited 11-21-90 Liverpool West Derby

Full Branch

39 Mill Lane West Derby Liverpool 12

47 Liverpool

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

051 226 1519/5364

Nightsafe Installed

Mr D G Telfer Manager

October 1893

18 December 1918

3 January 1928

1933

15 December 1969

Recorded opened by the Bank of Liverpool at 23 Mill Lane

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Moved to 39 Mill Lane

Barclays Bank Limited 20-51-04 Liverpool West Derby

Currently

image037

Gutinfo.jpg