Sep 1.jpg

Bank of Liverpool

Sep 1.jpg

The Bank of Liverpool opens for business in temporary premises at 82 St Mary’s Road Garston in 1896, and so begins a 95 year relationship with this area, brought to an end by the closure of Garston Branch by Barclays in 1991.  The image you see here, is of the permanent branch opened in 1904.  Garston is famous for a number of things – Matches are made at the Bryant and May Factory, and the Wilson Hall sees a number of performances by up and coming late 1950s combo “The Quarry Men”, who we understand, having changed their name to “The Beatles” become a little more well-known in the 1960s – even OUTSIDE Garston! As Garston is somewhere that holds the key to such important pieces of Liverpool’s History, we are delighted to have this period image of Martins Bank’s Branch.  For our first feature, we go back to 1960, and the retirement of Mr Boothman, who at this time has been Pro Manager at Garston for some eighteen years.  In 1960, we are still firmly in the days of “a job for life” and Mr Boothman has clocked up the staggeringly grand total of forty-three years’ service…

Sep 1.jpg

1960 02 MBM.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

On April 28th a party was held at Garston branch on the occasion of the retirement of Harold Boothman after 43 years' service. A very happy little gathering of colleagues in­cluded Mr. T. H. Kinder, former Manager at Garston, but now Manager at Colne, who, with Mrs. Kinder had come specially for the occasion. The presentation on behalf of the sub­scribers was made by Mr. N. N. Jobling, Liverpool District General Manager, who spoke warmly of Mr. Boothman's long and outstanding service.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Images © Barclays Ref 0030/1045

Sep 1.jpg

 

Sep 1.jpg

It was a tribute to the regard in which Mr. Boothman is held that a number of appreciative letters from customers were received and one or two of them attended the ceremony. For his gift he chose two travelling cases and a wristlet watch. Mrs. Boothman was presented with a bouquet by Miss A. Williams. Mr. Boothman entered the Bank in 1917 at Head Office, and afterwards went to Exchange. In 1925 he went to Water Street and in 1937 to Wavertree as second-in-command. He was appointed to Garston as Pro Manager in 1942.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1910 to 1912 Mr W H T Laidlaw MBM-Su59P31.jpg

1913 to 1915 Mr F E Bold MBM-Su47P25.jpg

1942 to 1960 Mr H F R Boothman Pro Manager MBM-Su60P47.jpg

1950 to 1961 Mr E T Gorst Manager MBM-Wi65P52.jpg

1960 to 1963 Mr S J Crisp Pro Manager MBM-Wi63P05.jpg

1961 to 1964 Mr RHB Whittam Manager MBM-Sp64P06.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr W H T Laidlaw

On the staff

1910 to 1912

Mr F E Bold

On the Staff

1913 to 1915

Mr H F R Boothman

Pro Manager

1934 to 1960

Mr E T Gorst

Manager

1950 to 1961

Mr S J Crsip

Pro Manager

1960 to 1963

Mr R H B Whittam

Manager

1961 to 1964

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1963 to 1964 Mr J S Quirk MBM-Su64P07.jpg

1964 Mr K Bonney Manager MBM-Sp64P05.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr J S Quirk

On the staff

1963 to 1964

Mr K Bonney

Manager

1964 onwards

 

 

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

BARCLAYS BANK LIMITED

MARTINS BANK LIMITED

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

MIDLAND BANK LIMITED

WESTMINSTER BANK LIMITED

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

Martins Bank  Lmited 11-96-31 Liverpool Garston

Full Branch

130 St Mary's Road Garston Liverpool L19 2JH

19 Liverpool

Mon to Fri1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

GARston 5176/7

Nightsafe Installed

Mr K Bonney Manager

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-18-90 LIVERPOOL SPRINGWOOD

1896

1904

18 December 1918

3 January 1928

15 December 1969

1991

Currently

opened by the Bank of Liverpool at 82 St Mary’s Road

moved to 130 St Mary’s Road

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-33-47 Garston 130 St Mary’s Road

Closed

The Franking Machine Company Ltd

Gutinfo.jpgR