Sep 1.jpg

Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank

Sep 1.jpg

The Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank opens its Branch at Skelmanthorpe in October 1908.  This attractive little office, still open today, is shown off to readers of THE BUILDING NEWS in the form of an artist’s impression (see below).  At the time of the merger with Barclays in 1969, Skelmanthorpe is a self accounting sub-Branch to Huddersfield Market Place, and opens on a reduced hours basis Monday to Saturday, in order to man a sub-Branch at CLAYTON WEST.  For our feature, we wind back the clock to 1966, and the retirement of Mr Milner whose role as Clerk in Charge has spanned the last nine of his forty-two year stint with the Bank. As usual Martins Bank Magazine is there to bring us the details of Mr Milner’s career, and his send off…

Sep 1.jpg

1960 s Skelmanthorpe Exterior CU BGA Ref 30-2658

Image © Barclays Ref 0030/2658

Sep 1.jpg

1957 to 1966 Mr G Milner Clerk in Charge MBM-Su66P56.jpg1966 02 MBM.jpgTo mark his retirement as Clerk-in-Charge of Skelmanthorpe branch Mr Milner with his wife entertained past and present colleagues to buffet refreshments at the Spink's Nest Hotel. There were over 50 guests including Mr A. K. Bromley, Joint Superintendent of Branches of the Bank. Mr J. Speak (Manager Huddersfield) spoke of Mr Milner's quiet, pleasant nature: a friend rather than just a colleague. In presenting him with a bureau, to which many had contributed, he thanked him for his loyal service and wished him and his wife continued health and happiness in their retirement. A bouquet was handed to Mrs Milner by Miss S. M. Stead. In reply Mr Milner spoke mainly of his eight years at Skelmanthorpe and sincerely thanked Mr J. E. Leake, Mr Bromley and Mr Speak for their unfailing managerial support during that time. He also disclosed that during the last eight years his family life had been far from uneventful in that there had been three twenty-first birthdays, three weddings, one silver wedding, one ninetieth birthday, and five grandchildren born. He concluded by thanking everyone for their contribution and by offering his best wishes to his successor, Mr L. G. Johnson. Prior to his retirement Mr Milner had been entertained to lunch at Spring Gardens by the District General Manager. After entering at Mirfield branch in 1924 Mr Milner served at Dewsbury branch before joining H.M. Forces in 1942. He returned to Mirfield in 1946 and was appointed Accountant at Huddersfield in 1953, taking charge at Skelmanthorpe four years later.

Sep 1.jpg

1960 s Skelmanthorpe Exterior BGA Ref 30-2658

Image © Barclays Ref 0030/2658

Image © 1908 The Building News and Successors

 

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1947 to 1957 Pro Manager MBM-Wi57P45.jpg

1957 to 1966 Mr G Milner Clerk in Charge MBM-Su66P56.jpg

1966 Mr LG Johnson Clerk in Charge MBM-Su66P04.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

Mr H V Mitchell

Clerk in Charge

1933 to 1957

Mr G Milner

Clerk in Charge

1957 to 1966

Mr L G Johnson

Clerk in Charge

1966 onwards

 

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-89-70 Skelmanthorpe

Self Accounting Sub to 11-84-40 Huddersfield Market Place

2 Station Road Skelmanthorpe Huddersfield Yorkshire

780 Manchester

Mon Wed and Fri 1000-1500 Tue and Thu 1400-1500

Saturday 0930-1130

Skelmanthorpe 3513

Nightsafe Installed

L G Johnson pro Manager

Sub Branches

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-89-70 CLAYTON WEST

1908

3 January 1928

15 December 1969

Currently

Opened by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank

Martins Bank Lmited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-78-35 Skelmanthorpe

image037

Sep 1.jpg

Gutinfo.jpg