Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank 1928+

Sep 1.jpg

image072Skelmersdale is given the status of “New Town” in 1961, and Martins Bank decides to open a branch to cash in on the saving and speding power of waged industrial workers, in 1963.  This branch is typical of many opened at this time designed to appeal specifically to a target group of customers, and brings much needed credit balances to the Bank.

Sep 1.jpg

Skelmersdale

Sep 1.jpg

Branch Images © Barclays Ref 0030/2660

Sep 1.jpg

Between 1957 and 1964 a number of experiments take place on housing estates, to assess the use to the Bank of this new “waged” customer base - See also our pages for KIRKBY & CROXTETH MOBILE BANK and ERNESETTLE HOUSING ESTATE.  Skelmersdale operates full banking hours across a six day week, and is a self accounting sub branch to Ormskirk.  It survives the merger with Barclays, changing from self accounting to full Branch in 1969. Barclays moves the business to the Sandy Lane Centre in 1972.

Sep 1.jpg

 

Branch Images © Barclays Ref 0030/2660

 

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1967 to 1969 Mr RL Cockhill Clerk in Charge then Manager from 1969 MBM-Sp67P05.jpg

No Image

No Image

No Image

1967 Terry Mudd (ARGFOOW) MBM-Au67P29

No Image

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr R L Cockhill

Clerk in Charge 1967-69

Manager 1969 onwards

Mr G S Gaskin

On the Staff

1966 to 1968

Mr B E Jones

On the Staff

1966 to 1967

Mrs V A Bracegirdle

On the Staff

1967

Mr T G Mudd

On the Staff

1967

Mr F Walmsley

On the Staff

1967

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

No Image

No Image

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr R F Pettener

On the Staff

1968

I W Howie

On the Staff

1968 to 1969

 

 

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-88-70 Skelmersdale

Self Accounting Sub to 11-62-60 Ormskirk

114 Sandy Lane Skelmersdale Lancashire

95 Liverpool

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Tawd Vale 3104

Nightsafe Installed

R L Cockhill pro Manager

histhist

1963

1969

15 December 1969

February 1972

Currently

Opened by Martins Bank Limited

Upgraded to full branch status

Barclays Bank Limited 20-78-36 Skelmersdale

Closed and moved to Sandy Lane Centre

Florist

Sep 1.jpg

Gutinfo.jpg