Sep 1.jpg

Equitable Bank

Sep 1.jpg

The Halifax Equitable Bank opens its doors for business in 1899, and in the same  year a branch is established at Whitefriargate, Hull.  The bank changes its name in 1913 to The Equitable Bank, and in 1927 it amalgamates with the Bank of Liverpool and Martins.  The advertismement below, which is from 1931, shows the two branches of Martins that are open at this time in Hull – Whitefriargate continues to be Martins’ main branch in the town, with a sub branch at Newland on Beverley High Road, until 1958 when another sub branch is opened at Story Street. 

Sep 1.jpg

Moving Day…

By 1962 Martins’ business at Hull has expanded to the point where premises are sought for a new main branch.  Whitefriargate is closed, and the business relocates to Market Place.  We are delighted to have images of the combined Hull staffs moving out of Whitefriargate in 1962, which were kindly supplied by Bob Sykes. We don’t imagine for a minute that the contents of an entire branch would fit such a small van, but a ready team of movers from the male staff of Whitefriargate have given up their weekend, and are on hand to do the job in as many vanloads as it takes! From left to right, we see:

Sep 1.jpg

Colin Redshaw, Wally Kay, Doug James, George Clark (Branch Manager) Robert (Bob)Sykes, Mike Hall and an un-named driver…

Sep 1.jpg

1962 Staff moving to new branch at Hull Market Place 2 - REH Sykes MBA.jpg

Image © R E H Sykes 1962

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1941 Hull Cheque Don Swainson

Image © Stephen Walker – September 1927

Sep 1.jpg

 

Image © Martins Bank Archive Collection – April 1942

Sep 1.jpg

Newspaper Image © Northcliffe Media Limited Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. Image reproduced

with kind permission of The British Newspaper Archive www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

Sep 1.jpg

Our feature is the retirement of aptly named First Cashier Mr L R Martin, who holds that position at Whitefriargate from 1949 until 1960.  A veteran of the First World War, his entire forty-four years with the bank are spent at the same branch…

Sep 1.jpg

1960 04 MBM.jpg1949 to 1960 Mr L R Martin First Cashier MBM-Wi60P55.jpgAt the end of October Mr. L. R. Martin, first cashier at Hull branch since 1949 retired after nearly 44 years' service, performed entirely at Hull, apart from service in Germany in the First World War, 1918-1920. He became a signing officer in 1948. To mark the occasion a party was held at the Royal Station Hotel, and the attendance included members of the staff, wives and some of the customers. Leeds District Office was represented by Mr. E. J. Winnard, Inspector. Some of the customers had joined in the presentation fund and Mr. Winnard made the presentation on behalf of the subscribers of a transistor radio set and two folding beach chairs. The girls of the branch presented Mrs. Martin with a large sheaf of chrysanthemums. After Mr. Winnard had referred to Mr. Martin's long and devoted service Mr. C. Eric Exley, a customer who had known Mr Martin  for  48  years,  paid  tribute  to  his unfailing courtesy and excellent service. Mr and Mrs. Martin will continue to live at Hornsea and we all hope that Mr. Martin's recent unsatisfactory health will rapidly improve. Their house adjoins the golf course and Mr. Martin intends to resume his golfing activities.

Sep 1.jpgSep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1922 to 1939 Mr H T Bartrop joined thee bank here MBM-Su67P54.jpg

1929 to 1931 Mr D Feather joined the bank here MBM-Sp66P03.jpg

1935 to 1940 Mr C Shipley joined the bank here MBM-Su65P06.jpg

1935 to 1947 Mr C C Russell Manager MBM-Sp47P33.jpg

1939 to 1955 Mr J S Corkill MBM-AU67P05.jpg

1941 to 1943 Mr GT Greenfield  MBM-Su66P05.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr H T Bartrop

Joined the Bank here

1922 to 1939

Mr D Feather

Joined the Bank here

1929 to 1931

Mr C Shipley

Joined the Bank Here

1935 to 1940

Mr C Russell

Manager

1935 to 1947

Mr J S Corkhill

On the Staff

1939 to 1955

Mr G T Greenfield

On the Staff

1941 to 1943

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1944 to 1947 joined later 1963 to 1967 Mr CD Scurr Pro Manager MBM-Au67P06.jpg

1946 to 1947 Mr A L S Watson joined the bank here MBM-Wi64P05.jpg

1947 to 1951 Mr F Akroyd Pro Manager MBM-Su67P59.jpg

1947 to 1962 Mr G H Clark Manager MBM-Su65P57.jpg

1949 to 1960 Mr L R Martin First Cashier MBM-Wi60P55.jpg

1951 to 1954 Mr E Hinchcliffe Pro Manager MBM-Su65P55.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr C D Scurr

Joined the Bank Here

1944 to 1947

Mr A L S Watson

Joined the Bank Here

1946 to 1947

Mr F Akroyd

Pro Manager

1947 to 1951

Mr G H Clark

Manager

1947 to 1962

Mr L R Martin

First Cashier

1949 to 1960

Mr E Hinchcliffe

Pro Manager

1951 to 1954

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1958 to 1962 A C (Tony) Tarsey Joined the Bank Here - REH Sykes MBA

1958 to 1962 Diane Haldenby Joined the Bank Here - REH Sykes MBA

1966 Mr CF Redshaw Staff Member MBM-Sp66P35.jpg

1960 to 1962 Sheila Broughton Joined the Bank Here - REH Sykes MBA

1960 to 1962 Doug James Joined the Bank Here  - REH Sykes MBA

1961 to 1962 Mike Hall Joined the Bank Here - REH Sykes MBA

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr A C (Tony) Tarsey

Joined the Bank Here

1958 to 1962

Diane Haldenby

Joined the Bank Here

1958 to 1962

Mr C F Redshaw

On the Staff

1959 to 1962

Sheila Broughton

Joined the Bank Here

1960 to 1962

Doug James

Joined the Bank Here

1960 to 1962

Mike Hall

Joined the Bank Here

1961 to 1962

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1962 Mr R E H Sykes Staff MBM-Sp62P38.jpg

1961 to 1962 Wally Kaye 2 - REH Sykes MBA

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr R E H Sykes

On the Staff

1961 to 1962

Wally Kay

On the Staff

1961 to 1962

 

 

 

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-88-40 Hull Whitefriargate

Full Branch

Whitefriargate Hull Yorkshire

605 Leeds

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Hull 35203 / 35783

Nightsafe Installed

Mr G H Clark Manager (1962)

 

Sep 1.jpg

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-88-40 HULL NEWLAND

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-32-80 HULL STORY STREET

 

1899

1913

13 July 1927

3 January 1928

1962

Opened by the Halifax Equitable Bank

Name changes to The Equitable Bank

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Closed and business moved to Hull Market Place

 

Sep 1.jpg

Gutinfo.jpg

<,