Sep 1.jpg

Extract from Martins Bank Limited Annual Report and Accounts for 1927 – © Barclays

Sep 1.jpg

 

                                                                                Wallasey.jpg         1966 Refit and Rebuild MBM-Au66FC.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Almost off the edge of our map and into the sea, is Wallasey, but this is certainly not an insignificant coatal village – far from it:  For here, right at the end of the Wirral Peninsula, at various points in the history of Martins Bank, is home to NINE Birkenhead and SEVEN Wallasey Branches!  Poulton Road, Liscard, Wallasey, is opened by the Bank of Liverpool and Martins in 1927, as a sub branch to Seacombe, and operates a full counter service over the six day banking week.  If you think that closing bank branches is a Twenty-First Century phenomenon, think again -  Martins Bank’s own first round of branch cuts was made in the early 1930s, the likely cause being the amount of money to be spent on a new Head Office and a rebuilt London Office.  The spotlight is thrown onto many tiny offices of the bank, some of which open only for an hour or two each week, others whose footfall of customers is not enough to sustain them long term, and the axe falls many times between 1931 and 1935.  Poulton Road lasts until the end of March 1934…

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-855 Wallasey Poulton Road

Sub to 11-855 Wallasey Seacombe

311 Poulton Road Wallasey Cheshire

43 Liverpool

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Wallasey 3421

Counter Service Only

Seacombe Manager

11 July 1927

3 January 1928

28 March 1934

Opened by the Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Closed

Gutinfo.jpg