Sep 1.jpg

 

Sep 1.jpg

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

The Bank of Liverpool and Martins opens a Branch at the wonderful address of 16˝ Sea Road Fulwell, Sunderland in June 1926. This is the first time we have come across an address expressed as “half a property”! On 25 July 1942, Fulwell is mothballed for the duration of World War 2, and this newspaper advertisement (which has been re-created original advertising copy)  is amongst many that herald the re-opening of Branches in 1946/7.  It appears in the local press between August and October 1946, and Fulwell Branch re-opens on Monday 30 September 1946. Another of Sunderland’s sub-Branches – Southwick – is also re-opened at the same time.  In 1964 Martins moves Fulwell sub-Branch to number 52 Sea Road, and for the first time in its existence, is connected to the phone network. By this time a telephone is far more of a necessity than a luxury, especially in light of armed bank raids….

Sep 1.jpg

sp2

Image © Martins Bank Archive Collection

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-781 Sunderland Fulwell

Sub to 11-781 Monkwearmouth

16˝  Sea Road Fulwell Sunderland County Durham

344 North Eastern

Mon Tue Wed and Fri 1400-1500

Sunderland 582

Counter Service

Mr B Raine Manager (Monkwearmouth)

Sep 1.jpg

7 June 1926

3 January 1928

25 July 1942

30 September 1946

1964

Opened by the Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Closed for World War 2

Re-opened

Closed and relocated to 52 SEA ROAD

Sep 1.jpg

Gutinfo.jpgx