Sep 1.jpg

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Sep 1.jpg

The Bank of Liverpool and Martins opens this Branch at Fulwell, Sunderland in June 1926 and with only a few cosmetic changes to the exterior, it remained open until May 2016 as a Branch of Barclays. Under Martins Bank, Fulwell is a sub-Branch to Monkwearmouth, and this position is continued by Barclays after the merger of the two Banks in 1969. There is no visit to Fulwell by Martins Bank Magazine, but we do have the following story about Branch Guard guard, Mr Robert Wilkinson, who leaves the bank in 1964 to become Mayor of Sunderland! (This is also shown on our page for Sunderland Southwick, as Mr Wilkinson is the Guard at BOTH sub branches).

Sep 1.jpg

1964 02 MBM.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Mr Robert Wilkinson retired on May 9th after serving four-and-a-half years as bank guard at Southwick and Fulwell sub bran­ches. Eleven days later he became Mayor of Sunderland.

Sep 1.jpg

1959 to 1964 Mr Robert Wilkinson Guard MBM-Su64P49.jpgAlways keenly interested in local govern­ment Mr Wilkinson was elected a member of Sunderland County Borough Council in 1945 and raised to the Aldermanic bench in 1959.  During the past year, as Deputy Mayor, he has twice had the honour of meeting H.R.H. the Duke of Edinburgh.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Images © Barclays Ref 0030/2225

Sep 1.jpg

1960 s Sunderland Fulwell Interior 3 BGA Ref 30-2225

Sep 1.jpg

 

Before joining the Bank Mr Wilkinson worked at Wearmouth Colliery for fifty years, apart from service in Italy during the first world war. He has always been a keen sportsman. In his younger days he was wicket-keeper for Wearmouth Colliery C.C. and has been a life-long supporter of Sunderland Football Club. His Bank service has been thoroughly enjoyable, he assures us, as it has enabled him to widen his circle of friends. Although both staff and customers are sorry to lose him, all wish him a very successful year as Mayor of Sunderland.

Sep 1.jpg

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-14-30%20Coventry%20Cheylesmore%2002-15_files/image008.jpg

Our “then and now” features usually compare Branch images from only two points in time, but for Fulwell, three are available in Barclays’ collection. These photographs show the subtle changes that have taken place over more than fifty years, from Martins’ 1960s refit to the present day. Apart from a four year “break” for World War Two, and a change of name above the door, Fulwell Sub-Branch managed an unbroken run of almost ninety years.  Just what it is that makes some branches viable and others not so viable over such long period of time often seems a bit of a mystery – officially credited today with being responsible for many Branch closure is the “lack of footfall” so perhaps until now for Fulwell, it was simply a case of being in the right place at the right time!

Sep 1.jpg

1960 s Sunderland Fulwell Exterior BGA Ref 30-2225

1960s

1970s

http://barclaysbranch.metafaq.com/branch_images/UK-B-20836919.jpg

2015

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1959 to 1964 Mr Robert Wilkinson Guard MBM-Su64P49.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

Robert Wilkinson

Guard

1959 to 1964

 

 

 

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-08-60 Sunderland Fulwell

Sub to 11-08-60 Monkwearmouth

52 Sea Road Fulwell Sunderland County Durham

344 North Eastern

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Sunderland 71582

Nightsafe Installed

Mr A D Scotson TD Manager (Monkwearmouth)

Sep 1.jpg

7 June 1926

3 January 1928

25 July 1942

1946

15 December 1969

Friday 13 May 2016

Opened by the Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Closed for World War 2

Re-opened

Barclays Bank Limited 20-57-85 Monkwearmouth

This Branch was closed permanently at 12 Noon

Sep 1.jpg

Gutinfo.jpgx