Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

The remains of a

        banking empire…

 

At the time of the amalgamation of the Ulverston Bank (Messrs Petty and Postlethwaite) with the Kendal Bank in 1863, the volume of banking business undertaken at Ulverston is greater than at any other branch, even the much larger town of Barrow in Furness.  This is due in part to the fact that Ulverston is at one time the most important town in Furness.  Consequently before Barrow has developed into a large regional town, the Ulverston Bank is established over a wide area, its business linked closely with shipping. 

Sep 1.jpg

1969 Ulverston  ext c BGA Ref 33-561

Image © Barclays Ref 0033-0561

Sep 1.jpg

The Ulverston bank proper begins with founder Edmund Petty II, conducting business transactions with his family and friends at the turn of the nineteenth century.  Banking had however begun in Ulverston in at least the mid 1700s, with mercers and traders attracted by the money to be made from trade with Liverpool.  In the 1960s Martins’ Branch dominates County Square, and Ulverston’s modern day empire includes sub branches at Greenodd and Ulverston’s Auction Mart.  The beauty of the branch has been retained, and even in the twenty-first century the need for bandit screens and computerised banking has had to make proper allowance for the age and grandeur of the building.

Sep 1.jpg

The photograph (right) shows Barclays’ own very modern looking Branch at 20 New Market Street, which is probably better situated to attract the footfall of customers in the local shopping streets.  However, plans for the future, including the expansion of the business and the introcution of computer equipment into all Branches, means that Barclays has to choose the commodious Martins premises over its own compact little Branch, and the business moved to the Martins Building at County Square in December 1969.

Sep 1.jpg

Sadly there are currently no interior views of Ulverston Branch, either under Martins or Barclays, and as ever, if you can help with images or memories of this or any of the 980+ Branches of Martins Bank, please do get in touch with us at the usual address – gutinfo@btinternet.com.

1969 Barclays Branch to be closed - BGA Ref 0030-3000

Image © Barclays Ref 0030/3000

Image © Barclays Ref 33-561

Image © Barclays Ref 30-3001

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1905 Mr J M Read joined the service here MBM-Sp48P09.jpg

1912 Mr J W Bargh Joined the service here MBM-Su58P57.jpg

1912 to 1913 Mr H Parker MBM-Sp50P11.jpg

1917 Mr J H Ritchie joined the bank here MBM-Au63P55.jpg

1921 to 1926 Mr S F Lord joined the bank here MBM-Wi65P56.jpg

1929 to 1929 Mr J Moffatt joined the bank here MBM-Sp68P06

Sep 1.jpg

Mr J M Read

Joined the bank here

1905

Mr J W Bargh

Joined the bank here

1912

Mr H Parker

On the Staff

1912 to 1913

Mr J H Ritchie

Joined the bank here

1917

Mr S F Lord

Joined the bank here

1921 to 1926

Mr J Moffat

Joined the Bank Here

1929 to 1929

Sep 1.jpg

1936 to 1939 Mr J L ALexander  MBM-Sp64P07.jpg

1941 to 1947 Mr J N Edgar MBM-Sp64P05.jpg

1945 to 1947 Mr H L Scholefield MBM-Au56P50.jpg

1947 to 1948 Mr D J Crellin MBM-Au64P04.jpg

1961 to 1969 Mr H F Earnshaw Manager MBM-Au69P56.jpg

1963 Miss J Clements Cashier MBM-Au63P41.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Mr J L Alexander

Staff Member

1936 to 1939

Mr J N Edgar

On the staff

1941 to 1947

Mr H L Scholefield

On the staff

1945 to 1947

Mr D J Crellin

Staff Member

1947 to 1948

Mr H F Earnshaw

Manager

1961 to 1969

Miss J Clements

Cashier

1963

Sep 1.jpg

1964 Miss MJ Rigg First Cashier MBM-Su64P40.jpg

1967 Mr DA Knight pro Manager MBM-Au67P07.jpg

1969 Mr J R Hullock Manager MBM-Au69P13.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

Miss M J Rigg

Chief Cashier

1964

Mr D A Knight

Pro Manager

1967

Mr J R Hullock

Manager

1969 onwards

 

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

BARCLAYS BANK LIMITED

New Market Street (CLOSED 1969)

1946 District Bank Logo from Cheque - MBAx1

DISTRICT BANK LIMITED

2 Queen Street

Sep 1.jpg

 

MARTINS BANK LIMITED

County Square

MIDLAND BANK LMITED

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

Martins Bank Limited 11-75-80 Ulverston 

Full Branch

County Square Ulverston Lancashire

221 Northern

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Ulverston 2004

Nightsafe Installed

H F Earnshaw Manager

Sub Branches

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-832 CARK IN CARTMEL*

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-832 CARTMEL*

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-75-80 GREENODD

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-75-80 ULVERSTON AUCTION MART

 

*Please note that the Sub Branches at CARK IN CARTMEL and CARTMEL were originally run

by Ulverston Branch before the responsibility was handed to Grange over Sands Branch.

Sep 1.jpg

Pre 1863

1863

27 June 1893

18 December 1918

3 January 1928

15 December 1969

Currently

Messrs Petty & Postlethwaite Ltd

Wakefield, Crewdson The Kendal Bank

Bank of Liverpool

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-88-60 Ulverston

image037

Sep 1.jpg

Gutinfo.jpg