Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank 1928+

Sep 1.jpg

When Martins Bank begins its expansion across England and Wales, temporary premises are often taken for the Bank to get a foothold in a town or village until purpose built offices are completed.  The Bank sets up business in Rhyl at No 7 Bodfor Street on 5 Jan 1939, and by early 1940 it has moved to the Town’s High Street. There it will stay  - for thirty more years – until the merger with Barclays puts an end to Martins Bank’s long involvement with this part of North Wales.  As a full Branch of the Bank, Rhyl opens for the full six day banking week. Of the original Branch Staff we have just the one image for our Staff Gallery below – Mr K Harris-Hughes who is Manager at Rhyl for the years of the Second World War, 1939 to 1945.

Sep 1.jpg

1939 JAN 02 Opening Announcments for Plymouth Geo St Reading 6 Stn Rd and Rhyl 7 Bodfor St Liverpool Post BNA MBA

Liverpool Post 2 January 1939

Image © Northcliffe Media Limited Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD

Image reproduced with kind permission of The British Newspaper Archive

www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

 

 

Extract from Martins Bank Annual Report and Accounts for 1939 – © Barclays

 

0

Image © BT 1939

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr K Harris-Hughes

Manager

1939 to 1945

 

 

 

 

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-701 Rhyl

Full Branch

7 Bodfor Street Rhyl Flintshire

78 Liverpool

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Rhyl 4097

Counter Service

Mr K Harris Hughes Manager

 

Sep 1.jpg

Thrurday 5 January 1939

1940

opened by Martins Bank Limited in temporary premises

Moved to 52 High Street Rhyl

sSep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Gutinfo.jpg