Sep 1.jpg

1950 s Worthing Exterior G Pavey-BGA

This Image Courtesy G Taylor Collection 1950. 

Others, (apart from the staff group) © Barclays Ref 30/3294

Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank opens a temporary Branch in Worthing at 39 chapel Road in January 1938, moving to this permanent location at 26 Chapel Road by the December of the same year. As Martins grows in importance in the south of England, Worthing is chosen as the location for an office of the Bank’s Trustee and Investment Services, whose address is given as 24 Chapel Road.  In 1951 Martins Bank Magazine pays a visit to Worthing to meet the staff, and look at the Branch and some of the local history…

Sep 1.jpg

1951 03 MBM.jpgOur acquaintance with the Sussex coast has hitherto been limited to the periodic passage through Newhaven en route for the Continent and so it was with great interest that we turned our steps southwards from London on the morning of August 9th. The choice fell on Worthing because Mr. and Mrs. Whyte were members of our Swiss 1960 s Worthing Exterior Close Up BGA Ref 30-32941949 party and of this year's Italian Lakes party, and a friendship had sprung up between us. To try to describe Worthing to our readers is a somewhat difficult task because the resulting description might fit a dozen other seaside resorts. There is the usual pleasant promenade, the pier, the bandstand, the flower beds, the usual hotels with the usual names lining the front, the usual carefree holiday crowds in their colourful attire, and the wide sweep of the English Channel dipping over the horizon towards the unseen coast of France. Yet Worthing has its own individuality and it is totally different from its near neighbour Brighton to which we motored to catch a late night train back to London. One of the outstanding assets of this town of some 70,000 people is an extremely beautiful hinterland. One can be on the South Downs very quickly and there are numerous places of interest quite close at hand.

 

Sep 1.jpg

1960 s Worthing Interior 2 BGA Ref 30-3294

Sep 1.jpg

1951 Worthing Staff MBM-Au51P.jpgAfter lunch we motored over to Arundel and visited its magnificent castle, home of the Duke of Norfolk, hereditary Earl Marshal of England. Although built by the Saxons in the year 800 it has been enlarged and added to, but the surprising thing is that it looks as though it had only recently been built. The stonework is whiter than the stonework of our Head Office building and shows no sign of weathering at all on the imposing turrets which rise at each corner. Unfortunately, the family has been driven to live in a tiny portion of it as in the case of all these fine ancestral homes nowadays. A modern, somewhat incongruous note is struck by the sight of television aerials on two of the towers: they don't quite fit in with the drawbridge! After leaving the castle we motored through the lovely countryside and from one vantage point we could see three distinct thunderstorms developing, though we ourselves stood in bright sunshine. Our office in Chapel Road is spacious and well-appointed and Mr. Whyte must have enjoyed the change on his promotion there after his management of Southall branch during the war years.

Sep 1.jpg

1960 s Worthing Interior 1 30-3294

He entered the Bank in 1916 and prior to his first managership served for varying periods at Head Office, Smithdown, Liverpool Foreign, Liscard, Seacombe, Kingsway and Bournemouth.  He served with H.M. Forces during the first World War from 1917 to 1919. At the close of business we spent a very pleasant evening with Mr. and Mrs. Whyte in their very attractive home before starting on our homeward journey made via Brighton so that we could see the lights.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1943 to 1962 Mr C E Whyte Manager MBM-Au62P51.jpg

1951 W N Townson MBM-Au51P52.jpg

1951 Miss G F Pinnell  MBM-Au51P.jpg

1951 Mr E Hewines  MBM-Au51P.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Mr C E Whyte

Manager

1943 to 1962

Mr W N Townson

On the Staff

1951

Miss G F Pinnell

On the Staff

1951

Mr E Hewines

On the Staff

1951

Sep 1.jpg

1951 Miss J P Pretty MBM-Au51P.jpg

1951 Mr P F Green MBM-Au51P.jpg

1951 Mr P Little MBM-Au65P04.jpg

1954 to 1962 Mr R A Clark joined the bank here MBM-Sp69P11.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Miss J P Pretty

On the Staff

1951

Mr P F Green

On the Staff

1951

Mr P Little

On the Staff

1951

Mr R A Clark

Joined the Bank Here

1954 to 1962

Sep 1.jpg

1962 onwards Mr R C Burton Manager MBM-Wi65P58.jpg

1963 to 1965 Mr D J Adams Limited Authority MBM-Wi65P03.jpg

1965 to 1967 Mr AF Hill Ltd Auth then Pro Mgr from 1967 MBM-Su67P06.jpg

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

Mr R C Burton

Manager

1962 onwards

Mr D J Adams

Limited Authoirty

1963 to 1965

Mr A F Hill

Ltd Auth 1965 to 1967

Pro Manager 1967 onwards

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-70-90 Worthing

Full Branch

26 Chapel Road Worthing Sussex

443 London

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Worthing 3822/3

Nightsafe

Mr R C Burton Manager

Sub Branches

Title:

Type:

Address:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-70-90 GORING BY SEA

Sub to 11-70-90 Worthing

329 Goring Road Goring by Sea Worthing Sussex

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Worthing 3822/3

Counter Service Only

Mr R C Burton Manager (Worthing)

December 1938

15 December 1969

18 September 1970

Opened by Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-98-75 Worthing 26 Chapel Road

Closed

Gutinfo.jpg