Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank 1928+

Sep 1.jpg

Image © Martins Bank Archive Collection

Advertisement Re-mastered 2018

Sep 1.jpg

 

Sep 1.jpg

Branch Images © Barclays Ref: 0030/0263

Sep 1.jpg

This, believe it or not is a NEW Branch of Martins Bank! The North Eastern Banking Company originally opens a branch at Birtley in 1904, ten years before amalgamating with the Bank of Liverpool.  In Martins’ time, Birtley is a Sub Branch to Low Fell, but when Martins and Barclays merge in 1969, Birtley is promoted to full branch status at least until Barclays’ 1980s reorganisation of its branch structure.  The parent Branch at Low Fell is open for a total of one hundred and sixteen years, finally closing its doors to customers of Barclays on 23 October 2015.

In 1973 Barclays opened an altogether different and much less attractive Branch at No 58 Durham Road Birtley, and this closed permanently on 16 October 2015.  Martins 1968 new build at Birtley is typical of the Bank’s 1960s approach – brighter lighter offices, out with old fashioned oppressive dark wood panelling, and in with the latest designs, from building materials to fabrics, and a number of very expensive artworks.  Sadly, it is this attention to detail that becomes too great an expense for the Bank, and contributes to the eventual need for it to find a buyer…

Sep 1.jpg

1967 Birtley interior 1 BGA Ref 30-263.jpg

1967 Birtley interior 2 BGA Ref 30-263.jpg

 

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

BARCLAYS BANK LIMITED

LLOYDS BANK LIMITED

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

MARTINS BANK LIMITED

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

Martins Bank Limited 11-69-50 Birtley

Sub to 11-69-50 LOW FELL

48 Durham Road Birtley County Durham

341 North Eastern

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Birtley 2151

Nightsafe Installed

Mr R Snowden Manager (Low Fell)

Sep 1.jpg

25 March 1968

15 December 1969

1972

1973

Currently

Opened by Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-09-40 Birtley

Closed and moved temporarily to 48 Harraton Terrace

Closed and moved permanently to 58 Durham Road

Fashion and Bridalwear Design Shop

Sep 1.jpg

Gutinfo.jpgM