Sep 1.jpg

North Eastern Banking CompanyThe North Eastern Banking Company opens a branch at Birtley in 1904, ten years before amalgamating with the Bank of Liverpool.  In Martins’ time, Birtley is a Sub Branch to Low Fell, and in March 1968 the Bank decides to relocate to newer premises at 48 Durham Road.  When Martins and Barclays merge in 1969, Birtley is promoted to full branch status at least until Barclays’ 1980s reorganisation of its branch structure.  The parent Branch at Low Fell is open for a total of one hundred and sixteen years, finally closing its doors to customers of Barclays in October 2015. Whilst there is still a branch at Birtley today, it is in an altogether different and much less attractive building at No 58 Durham Road, having been relocated in 1973.  Sadly we have no images of 37 Durham Road, but you can see the newer 1968 premises HERE. This advertisement (right) is one of many placed in papers throughout the North East of England following Martins Bank’s extensive programme of building, re-building, re-fitting and re-furbishing some of its oldest Branches, many of course inherited from the days of the North Eastern Banking Company Limited…

Sep 1.jpgSep 1.jpg

 

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

BARCLAYS BANK LIMITED

LLOYDS BANK LIMITED

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

MARTINS BANK LIMITED

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

Martins Bank Limited 11-69-50 Birtley

Sub to 11-69-50 LOW FELL

37 Durham Road Birtley County Durham

341 North Eastern

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Birtley 2151

Nightsafe Installed

Mr R Snowden Manager (Low Fell)

Sep 1.jpg

1904

7 August 1914

18 December 1918

3 January 1928

23 March 1968

Opened by the  North Eastern Banking Company

Bank of Liverpool

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Closed and moved to new premises at 48 Durham Road

Gutinfo.jpgM