Sep 1.jpg

 

Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank 1928+

Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank secures a lease on 17 Wood Street Northampton on 21 August 1937, and a Branch opens there on 1 November.  It is usual at this time in the Bank’s expansion, for a small, temporary property to be taken whilst a larger, fit for purpose permanent site, is either being sought or built. In some cases, those branches which are meant to be temporary end up serving for more than ten years, especially when World War Two gets in the way!

Sep 1.jpg

In Northampton however, is it less than two years before the bank is able to move, and on 11 July 1939 Northampton Branch relocates from 17 Wood Street, into 18 The Drapery – a magnificent building, and a Branch of Barclays that remains open to this day.

Sep 1.jpg

Northampton Mercury and Herald 14 July 1939

Image © Northcliffe Media Limited Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD

Image reproduced with kind permission ofThe British Newspaper Archive

Sep 1.jpg

Image © BT 1938

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1937 to 1946 Mr P Wardle Manager MBM-Sp59P50.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr P Wardle

Manager

1937 to 1946

 

 

 

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Title:

                                                            Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-624 Northampton

Main Branch

17 Wood Street Northampton

595 Midland

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Northampton 2610

Nightsafe Installed

Mr P Wardle Manager

Sep 1.jpg

1 November 1937

8 July 1939

Opened by Martins Bank Limited

Closed and moved to 18 THE DRAPERY

Gutinfo.jpg