Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank 1928+

Sep 1.jpg

1963 COA.jpgHaving worked for a few months in a temporary branch at Zetland Street, the staff of Martins Bank’s new Northallerton Branch are able to move into purpose built premises in High Street towards the end of 1963.  The Branch occupies the ground floor, and the first floor is taken by Messrs Place Blair and Hatch Solicitors.  We can take a good look at the interior, thanks to several photographs taken at the time which have been made available by Barclays…

Sep 1.jpg

1966 Alec Wright Paintings Hung in Branch MBM-Sp66P22.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1963 Northallerton Exterior view of front of branch, solicitors BGA Ref 30-2071

 

Images © Barclays Ref 0030/0414

Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank is very keen to reflect the local nature of its Branch Network, and most of the newly built or opened Branches in the 1960s have specially commissioned artworks made for, and displayed within their premises. At Northallerton, local views by Yorkshire artist Alec Wright are hung against a background of wych elm (above and Below). The counter area is bright and welcoming, and still free of the bandit screens that will begin to put a barrier between staff and customer from the late 1960s onwards.

Sep 1.jpg

Images © Barclays Ref 0030/0414

Sep 1.jpg

Privacy is afforded by the manager’s/interview room, and even a corner provides a useful space in which to work and keep the safe!

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Outside, the rear of the Branch provides adequate parking space for staff and customer. Unfortunately it is not possible to read clearly the Car Park sign, but we have inlaid an image of an identical sign from another Branch.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1963 Mr J R Carter  MBM-Wi63P23.jpg

1963 to 1966 Mr M P Ramsdale  MBM-Sp68P06.jpg

1963 to 1967 Mr T A Douglas Manager MBM-Sp68P04.jpg

1968 Mr TR Gregory Manager MBM-Sp68P07.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

Mr J R Carter

On the Staff from

01 July 1963

Mr M P Ramsdale

On the Staff

1963

Mr T A Douglas

Manager

1963 to 1967

Mr T R Gregory

manager

1967 onwards

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-42-60 Northallerton

Full Branch

124 High Street Northallerton Yorkshire

382 North Eastern

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Northallerton 3562

Night Safe

Mr T R Gregory Manager

1 July 1963

1963/1964

12 December 1969

currently

opened in temporary premises at Zetland Street

Moved to 124 High Street

Closed and business transferred to Barclays 193 High Street

Dental Practice

Gutinfo.jpg