Sep 1.jpg

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Sep 1.jpg

The Bank of Liverpool and Martins opens a Branch in the Chapel Allerton area of Leeds in March 1926. This handsome little building proves its worth, by remaining open throughout the Second World War, and surviving the Merger with Barclays by more than twelve years, being closed in 1980. Under Martins’ ownership, Chapel Allerton has a sub-Branch to maintain on Roundhay Road, which is known as Leeds Oakwood Branch.

Sep 1.jpg

Leeds 1

Sep 1.jpg

Today’s use for the former Bank building at Chapel Allerton is as an Indian Takeaway, and the pillars along the front of the building lend themselves well to this new life, having been painted black and topped with gold! it still manages to look quaint, and is the first in a row of shops that were built onto the side of Chapel Allerton’s Library – an altogether older and grander affair… For our very short Chapel Allerton Feature, we must rewind to 1967 and the leisure time pursuits of a particular member of the staff. Many of the features in Martins Bank Magazine are about staff whose hobby or interest is not related to banking.

 

Sep 1.jpg

Image © Barclays Ref 30-1571

Sep 1.jpg

In the case of Donald Stephenson, 1968 sees him involved in a musical performance which will be heard by people all over Britain on BBC Radio 4. At this time, Radio 4 is barely a year old, the BBC Home Service having been renamed in 1967…

Sep 1.jpg

1968 Donald J Stephenson MBM-Au68P49.jpg1968 03 MBM.jpgOur man at St Paul’s…

Sep 1.jpg

Bass-baritone Donald J Stephenson (Chapel Allerton) accepted an invitation from the Royal School of Music to join some sixty singers from all over the country in forming a choir to sing at St Paul’s Cathedral for two weeks in August while the resident choir was on holiday.  On August 21, the choir broadcast evensong on Radio 4, and on the last evening they joined the Abbey choir in a recital at Westminster Abbey.  Mr Stephenson’s singing interests encompass light operatic as well as church music.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

gall

1941 to 1942 Mrs J U T Nicholson Clerk in Charge MBM-Sp47P23.jpg

1959 to 1964 Mr J S Corkill Clerk in Charge MBM-AU67P05.jpg

1964 to 1965 Mr R M Hall Clerk in Charge MBM-Sp64P08.jpg

1965 Mr R B Dixon Clerk in Charge MBM-Su65P06.jpg

1968 Donald J Stephenson MBM-Au68P49.jpg

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Miss J U T Nicholson

Clerk in Charge

1941 to 1942

Mr J S Corkill

Clerk in Charge

1959 to 1964

Mr R M Hall

Clerk in Charge

1965 to 1966

Mr R B Dixon

Clerk in Charge

1966 onwards

Donald J Stephenson

Staff Member

1968

 

 

sp2

 

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-62-20 Leeds Chapel Allerton

Self Accounting sub to 11-00-50 Leeds District Office

104 Harrogate Road Leeds 7 Yorkshire

604 Leeds

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Leeds 621871

Nightsafe Installed

Mr R B Dixon pro manager

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-62-20 LEEDS OAKWOOD

Sub to 11-62-20 Leeds Chapel Allerton

454 Roundhay Road Leeds 8 Yorkshire

604 Leeds

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Leeds 659260

Counter Service Only

Mr R E Dixon Manager (Chapel Allerton)

 

Sep 1.jpg

22 March 1926

3 January 1928

15 December 1969

2 June 1980

Currently

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-48-28 Leeds Chapel Allerton

Closed

Indian Restaurant

Gutinfo.jpgM