Sep 1.jpg

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Sep 1.jpg

As a County Borough of the West Riding of Yorkshire, Leeds is an important City. It is home to one of Martins Bankís decentralised District Offices. This means that local businesses donít have long to wait for decisions on borrowing requests, and that such decisions will take into account local financial conditions. The Bank also has a Trustee and Investment Department at Leeds. Of the nine Leeds branches and departments that at one time or other carry the name of Martins Bank, Leeds Oakwood and Headingley branches are both opened in the early 1920s by the Bank of Liverpool and Martins, following their takeover of the Halifax commercial Banking Company.Whilst Headingley survives only until 1974, Oakwood is a little more useful to Barclays and remains in service for sixty-five years, the doors being closed for the final time at the end of 1992.††

 

Sep 1.jpg

1937 ish Leeds Oakwood  Exterior Close Up BGA Ref 30-2165.jpg

Image © Barclays Ref 0030/2165

Sep 1.jpg

Under Martins Bank, Oakwood is a sub branch to Chapel Allerton, and provides a counter service over a six day full banking week. Saturday morning opening is withdrawn by all banks in England and Wales by the end of 1968 following pressure from the Banking Staff Associations and the Banking Union.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-62-20 Leeds Oakwood

Sub to 11-62-20 Leeds Chapel Allerton

454 Roundhay Road Leeds 8 Yorkshire

604 Leeds

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Leeds 659260

Counter Service Only

Mr R E Dixon Manager (Chapel Allerton)

 

26 February 1927

3 Janaury 1928

15 December 1969

4 December 1992

Currently

Opened by the Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-48-28 Leeds Chapel Allerton

Closed

Computer Components Shop

Gutinfo.jpg