Sep 1.jpg

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank’s sub-Branch at Lowick, is opened by the Bank of Liverpool and Martins in January 1922. Its parent branch, Berwick upon Tweed has at various times over the years been in charge of a number of sub-Branches and services – Berwick upon Tweed Corn Exchange, the banking service to Holy Island, and the sub-Branches at Spittal, Tweedmouth and Lowick. 

Sep 1.jpg

1959 Lowick Exterior Close Up BGA Ref 33-349.jpg

Image © Barclays Ref 0033/0349

Sep 1.jpg

Lowick joins a large number of small branches closed for the duration of World War 2, due to the staffing shortages created by the demands of the Kennet Committee who are charged with calling up men from various occupations to fight for King and Country. The last reference we have to Lowick being open, is from Martins Bank’s “Green Book” - a Branch Directory printed in Summer 1968, and the details are shown in the specification section below.  Barclays tell us they do not have a record of the exact date Lowick closed for good, and some time in May or June 1969 seems likely. If you can help with information about this or any of Martins Bank’s 980+ branch buildings, please do get in touch with us at the usual address: gutinfo@btinternet.com

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-59-00 Lowick                                           

Sub to 11-59-00 Berwick Upon Tweed

Main Street Lowick Berwick upon Tweed Northumberland

310 North Eastern

Tuesday 1000-1300

No Saturday Service

Lowick 289

Counter Service Only

Mr T H Donkin Manager

January 1922

3 January 1928

25 July 1942

1946

May 1969

Currently

Opened by the Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Closed for World War 2

Re-opened

Closed

Unable to trace from address

Gutinfo.jpg