Sep 1.jpg

1954 Wolsingham Exterior BGA Ref 30-3255.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Well connected at Wolsingham…

Sep 1.jpg

In the image above of Martins Bank’s Wolsingham Branch, which is from November 1954, you could be forgiven for thinking that it is somehow the nerve centre of a kind of 1950s information super highway. It seems almost everything is connected by wires to the roof of the building!  It just goes to show how much more underground cabling there is today.  Summertime agricultural shows are held up and down the land, and Martins Bank’s Mobile Branches attend at anything up to eighty different venues each year.  In the Summer of 1961 the Bank is at the Wolsingham show, and you can read more about the logistics of covering such a large number of outdoor events on our MOBILE BRANCHES page.  The Staff who attend the Wolsingham show have also taken a number of snapshots depicting setting up for the event and packing away afterwards.  Meanwhile, in 1965 it is time for the Wolsingham Manager, Mr J Soulsby to retire after an collosal forty-three years in the Bank. Martins Bank Magazine features his retirement celebrations in their Summer issue…

Sep 1.jpg

1965 02 MBM.jpg1947 to 1965 Mr J Soulsby Manager MBM-Su65P56.jpgon april 30th Mr Soulsby retired after 43 years in the service. He began his career at Wolsingham branch and spent the last eighteen years there as Manager. From 1928 to 1946 he worked at Barnard Castle branch with a break of 4 years' war service. Earlier in the week Mr Weatherill called to wish him well in retirement and he was also entertained to lunch at Grey Street and by the General Management at Head Office. To mark his retirement Mr and Mrs Soulsby gave a buffet meal to many past and present colleagues at the White Horse Hotel, Darlington. Mr Norman Alderson, now retired, who spent many years with Mr Soulsby at Barnard Castle branch, recalled, in presenting Mr Soulsby with a clock on behalf of subscribers, many amusing incidents which occurred during their years together, particularly when they lodged in Barnard Castle and travelled to sub branches by horse and trap. Miss M. Longstaff of the Wolsingham staff presented Mrs Soulsby with a bouquet and Mr M. A. Charlton (Pro Staff Manager) added the good wishes of District Office. Mr Soulsby spoke very highly of his past and present staff and thanked his wife for her invaluable assistance over the years. He had been delighted to receive an additional gift earlier in the day from present members of his staff.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1909 to 1946 Mr J G Shaw Manager MBM-Wi46P19.jpg

1940 to 1941 Mr J Milner MBM-Wi67P03.jpg

1941 to 1942 Mr DG Settle MBM-Sp65P06.jpg

1942 to 1943 Mr S Bainbridge joined the bank here MBM-Sp65P05.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Mr J G Shaw

Manager

1909 to 1946

Mr J Milner

On the Staff

1940 to 1941

Mr D G Settle

On the Staff

1941 to 1942

Mr S Bainbridge

Joined the Bank Here

1942 to 1943

Sep 1.jpg

1947 to 1965 Mr J Soulsby Manager MBM-Su65P56.jpg

1949 to 1950 Mr S Harling MBM-Su66P04.jpg

1950 to 1952 Mr M L Humble joined the bank here MBM-Au64P06.jpg

1965 JR Temple Manager MBM-Su65P08.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Mr J Soulsby

Manager

1947 to 1965

Mr S Harling

On the Staff

1949 to 1950

Mr Malcolm L Humble

Joined the Bank Here

1950 to 1952

Mr J R Temple

Manager

1965 Onwards

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-58-90 Wolsingham

Full Branch

Market Place Wolsingham Bishop Auckland County Durham

371 North Eastern

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1500

Wolsingham 207

Nightsafe Installed

Mr J R Temple Manager

1899

7 August 1914

18 December 1918

3 January 1928

15 December 1969

2015

opened by the North Eastern Banking Company

Bank of Liverpool

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Lmited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-97-73 Wolsingham

image037

Gutinfo.jpg