Sep 1.jpg

Bank of Liverpool

Sep 1.jpg

When the Bank of Liverpool opens a sub-Branch at Silecroft near Millom in 1903, the business is run by as an agency – this is a throwback to earlier banking times when an agent would agree to transact business but not as a permanent employee of the bank that engaged their services. 

Sep 1.jpg

Extract from Martins Bank Limited Annual Report and Accounts for 1938 – © Barclays

Sep 1.jpg

 

                                                           

Millom

Sep 1.jpg

1966 Refit and Rebuild MBM-Au66FC.jpg

 

Often they could negotiate favourable terms in lieu of or in addition to fees or wages, terms that perhaps included use of a Bank House, or they might even be required to provide their own security as a kind of insurance against losses or theft.  They were sometimes permitted to own shares in the bank, or to be paid in some way commensurate with the profitability (or not) of the branch they operated on the Bank’s Behalf.  To see an agent named – in this case Miss Mary Clark – as late as the twentieth century is a little unusual.  Silecroft ceases its Agency status in 1924, and in 1925 becomes a sub-Branch to Millom. Silecroft is one of five branches concentrated in this small area of the Furness Peninsula.  There are offices at Millom, The Green, two at Bootle and the agency at Silecroft.  The Green opens at the same time as Silecroft, but lasts only until 1908.  Silecroft fares much better, closing for the Second World War in 1939 but not being re-opened.   The opening times listed for 1921 are five and a half hours each week across two days including Saturday morning.   Saturday opening for a sub-Branch of this size is rare, but may well have coincided with some kind of local trading event such as a food or livestock market.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-576 Silecroft

Sub to Millom

Main Street Silecroft Millom Cumberland

217 Northern

Wednesday 1200-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Millom 202

Counter Service Only

Miss Mary Clark Agent (1921)

Mr J W Bargh Manager (Millom 1938)

1903

 18 December 1918

3 January 1928

1939

opened as an agency of the Bank of Liverpool

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Closed for World War II but not re-opened

Sep 1.jpg

Gutinfo.jpg