Sep 1.jpg

North Eastern Banking Company

Sep 1.jpg

The North Eastern Banking Company opens a Branch at Seaham Harbour in 1898, and later, under the ownership of the Bank of Liverpool and Martins, a sub branch is added at Dawdon.  This however turns out to be a short lived arrangement, and Dawdon is closed by Martins Bank in 1932, along with a number of tiny sub offices in order to help pay for the lavish new Head Offices and the rebuilding of 68 Lombard Street. Seaham Branch is an impressive conversion from what looks like two terraced houses, a stone frontage and stone blocking elsewhere on the building give an impression of safety and security. It continues to operate for nine years under Barclays, closing down in 1978. For our Seaham feature, we go back to April 1963.  Just five days after the official celebrations of four hundred years of Martins Bank, Seaham Manager Mr R L Scott is retiring from an incredible forty-six years’ service with the Bank…

Sep 1.jpg

1963 02 MBM.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

There was a happy, informal gathering at the Conservative Club, Seaham, to mark the re­tirement of Mr. R. L. Scott who, after 46 years' service, the last 13 of which had been spent as Mana­ger at Seaham, retired at the end of April.

Sep 1.jpg

1950 to 1963 Mr R L Scott Manager MBM-Su63P56.jpgSome 60 past and present colleagues and customers attended and were most liberally enter­tained. Mr. F. J. Savage of Seaham branch, in making the presentation of a gold wristlet watch and a wallet of notes on behalf of many friends, wished both Mr. and Mrs. Scott a very long and happy retirement.  It is Mr. Scott's intention to purchase a picture with the gift of money.

Sep 1.jpg

1960 s Seaham Exterior 7 CU BGA Ref 30-2575

Sep 1.jpg

Image © Barclays Ref 0030/2575

Sep 1.jpg

1960 s Seaham Interior 3 BGA Ref 30-2575

Sep 1.jpg

Replying in his inimitable man­ner, Mr. Scott told his guests how he entered the service of the Bank and, to the amazement of all present, including his wife, he produced the original letter to his mother advising her that there would be a vacancy at the Bank of Liverpool, Sedgefield, if her young son cared to apply for it and attained the very high standard required by the Bank. During the course of the even­ing a bouquet was presented to Mrs. Scott.  A few days prior to his retire­ment, Mr. Scott was entertained to lunch at Grey Street by the District General Management and on the last day, Mr. H. Ryder (North Eastern Assistant District Manager) called at the branch to tender good wishes for the future. After entering the Bank at Sedgefield in 1917 Mr. Scott subsequently served at West Cornforth, Newcastle, Spennymoor, Loftus and Quayside, before mov­ing in 1939 to North Eastern District Office. He served in the Intelligence Corps during the war and on his return to civilian life worked at Clayton Street and Elswick before his appointment as Manager at Seaham in 1950.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1916 Mr L Walker joined the bank here MBM-Su62P54.jpg

1939 to 1948 Mr J H Wedderburn Manager MBM-Au62P55.jpg

1946 to 1950 Mr M A Charlton MBM-Au68P15.jpg

1949 to 1951 Mr R W Wilson joined the bank here MBM-Au64P06.jpg

1950 to 1963 Mr R L Scott Manager MBM-Su63P56.jpg

1951 to 1952 Mr R Thompson MBM-Wi66P03.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr L Walker

Joined the Bank Here 1916.  Acting Manager 1942-46

Mr J H Wedderburn

Manager

1939 to 1948

Mr M A Charlton

On the Staff

1946 to 1950

Mr R W Wilson

Joined the Bank Here

1949 to 1951

Mr R L Scott

Manager

1950 to 1963

Mr R Thompson

On the Staff

1951 to 1952

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1952 to 1955 Mr M Walker joined the bank herer MBM-Sp65P04.jpg

1963 to 1966 Mr J Winstanley Manager MBM-Wi66P02.jpg

1966 Mr A McDonald Manager MBM-Wi66P03.jpg

1969 Mr J K Lindsay Clerk in Charge MBM-Au69P13.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr M Walker

Joined the Bank Here

1952 to 1955

Mr J Winstanley

Manager

1963 to 1966

Mr A MacDonald

Manager

1966 to 1969

Mr J K Lindsay

Clerk in Charge

1969

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-57-70 Seaham

Full Branch until 1969

3 Church Street Seaham County Durham

353 North Eastern

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Seaham 2366

Nightsafe Installed

Mr J K Lindsay Clerk in Charge

Sub Branches

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11- 726 DAWDON

1 December 1898

7 August 1914

18 December 1918

3 January 1928

15 December 1969

24 February 1978

North Eastern Banking Company

Bank of Liverpool

Bank of Liverpool and Martins Limited

Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-76-20 Seaham

Closed

Sep 1.jpg

Gutinfo.jpg