Sep 1.jpg

Mercantile Bank of Lancashire

Sep 1.jpg

Eastbank Street is an original Branch of the Mercantile Bank of Lancashire, and is one of three Southport Branches that come to the eventual ownership of Martins Bank Limited from the 1928 amalgamation of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank with the Bank of Liverpool and Martins.   Of the other two, 415 Lord Street doesn’t last very long, closing in 1934, and St Luke’s Branch manages a further 85 years, closing in 2013. Our Eastbank Street feature is the retirement of Mr Hobley, who has had a long career of forty-three years with the Bank, and has been the Manager at Southport’s Eastbank Street for seventeen of them. Martins Bank Magazine has all the details…

Sep 1.jpg

 

1962 03 MBM.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1960 s Southport East Bank Street  ext BGA Ref 30-2733

Image © Barclays Ref 0030/2733

 

1924 to 1932 then 1945 to 1962 Mr J W Hobley Manager from 1945 MBM-Au62P52.jpgThe retirement of Mr. J. W. Hobley at the end of June brought a gathering of friends, which included past and present colleagues and several distinguished customers, to Eastbank Street, Southport, on the afternoon of June 27th, to witness the presentation of a cheque on behalf of the subscribers by Mr. Ian Buchanan, Liverpool District General Manager. The formal part of the proceedings was opened by Mr. R. F. Creer, who welcomed the guests and paid his own tribute to Mr. Hobley. A bouquet was then presented to Mrs. Hobley, whom everyone was delighted to see, by Miss G. Rank.

Sep 1.jpg

1963 statement Header TGG-PAMr. Buchanan thanked Mr. Hobley on behalf of the General Management for his long and excellent service and expressed the good wishes of everyone for a very happy retirement. After Mr. Hobley had suitably replied in a speech embellished with one or two spectacular anecdotes the company settled down to the enjoyment of some excellent refreshments. Mr. Hobley entered the Lancashire & Yorkshire Bank in 1919. He made his first acquaintance with Eastbank Street in 1924 and in 1932 he was transfer­red to Heywoods branch. In 1935 he went to Linacre and the following year he was back at Eastbank Street, this time as second-in-command. A spell at Linacre followed in 1943 and one at Formby in 1944 and then, in 1945, he was appointed Manager at Eastbank Street, a post which he held until his retirement. Mr. and Mrs. Hobley are going to live near Appleby and we wish them every happiness in the quieter life of the country.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1924 to 1932 then 1945 to 1962 Mr J W Hobley Manager from 1945 MBM-Au62P52

1928 Mr J H Thomas  MBM-Sp64P56

1937 to 1939 Mr HG Campbell MBM-Su66P06

1943 to 1945 Mr R C Telford Assistant Manager MBM-Su58P55

1949 to 1950 Mr CM Summersgill joined the bank here MBM-Su64P05

1957 to 1961 Mr G Barnes MBM-Sp65P04

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr J W Hobley

On Staff 1924 to 1932

Manager 1945 to 1962

Mr J H Thomas

On the Staff

1928

Mr H G Campbell

On the Staff

1937 to 1939

Mr R C Telford

Assistant Manager

1943 to 1945

Mr C M Summersgill

Joined the Bank Here

1949 to 1950

Mr G Barnes

On the Staff

1957 to 1961

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1961 to 1964 Mr RF Creer MBM-Sp64P07

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr R F Creer

On the Staff

1961 to 1964

 

 

 

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-54-30 Southport Eastbank Street

Full Branch

14 Eastbank Street Southport Lancashire

75 Liverpool

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Southport 3523

Nightsafe Installed

Mr D E Wood ERD Manager

1891

1 July 1904

3 January 1928

15 December 1969

31 October 1988

Currently

opened by the Mercantile Bank of Lancashire

Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank

Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-80-32 Southport Eastbank Street

Closed

Fast Food Outlet

Sep 1.jpg

Gutinfo.jpg