A gentler, wealthier age…

Aah… The erstwhile grandeur of Lord Street, where well to do ladies can still enjoy the personal attentions of a milliner and a ladies tailor, and pay for it all with a visit to Martins Bank!  In major cities the Bank has whole networks of Branches, but even in some of the more modestly sized towns you can still come across several outlets.  At Southport, this has come about through the acquisition of the Branches and sub-Branches of many different banks who once had a foothold in the town: The Bank of Liverpool, The Mercantile Bank of Lancashire, The Adelphi Bank and The Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank. In the 1960s Martins Bank’s main Branch is this imposing building at 365 Lord Street, and sub-Branches can be found at Eastbank Street, St Lukes, Ainsdale Birkdale and Hillside. 

In service: 1901 – 21 July 1978

1960 s Southport 365 Lord Street  ext BGA Ref 30-2730

Image © Barclays Ref 0030/2730

Southport has managed to retain a dignified appearance and also maintains an old-world charm.  All this despite the onslaught of the swinging 60s.  The interior of 365 Lord Street does not disappoint, the marbled walls of the banking hall redolent of the Bank’s Head Office Building at Water street in Liverpool.  Banking is certainly an occasion here, and from the moment you twirl your way into the Branch through the revolving doors, you have the feeling that you are steppng back in time… There is another central Southport Branch – at 415 Lord Street – but this is closed in 1934, only a few years after it is inherited from the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank.  At the time of Martins Bank’s merger with Barclays, all of the remaining Southport area Branches make the change, but sadly not all of them will survive into the twenty-first century…

Image © Martins Bank Archive Collections - Stephen Walker

1960 s Southport 365 Lord Street  int 1 BGA Ref 30-2730.jpg

1960 s Southport 365 Lord Street  int 2 BGA Ref 30-2730.jpg

Images © Barclays Ref 30-2730

The mists and mysteries of time…

Obscured, and not least upstaged by S B Craven Outfitter’s shop next door, the Bank of Liverpool at Lord Street is seen here in the 1910s, before the merger of the Bank of Liverpool with Martin’s Private Bank. This postcard image has been coloured-in by hand, so we cannot vouch for the shade used to colourise our bank!

More mystifying is the numbering of the property next door – 187.  The bank does look like it is the same building as that shown in our main image at the top of this page, but that is supposed to be Number 365 Lord Street – not 185 or 189.  Were the buildings renumbered sometime between the 1920s and 1960s?  If you can shed ANY light on this matter, please do contact us at the usual address: gutinfo@btinternet.com.

 

Image © Martins Bank Archive Collections

 

1922 Mr T M Mason joined the bank here MBM-Wi63P59.jpg

1923 Mr E J Winnard joined the bank here MBM-Su49P41.jpg

1925 Mr J E Deyes MBM-Au46P07.jpg

1935 to 1936 Mr A H Nutt Pro Manager MBM-Au58P56.jpg

1936 to 1938 Mr F J Brennell Pro Manager MBM-Au55P47.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Mr T M Mason

Joined the Bank Here

1922

Mr E J Winnard

Joined the Bank Here

1923

Mr E J Deyes

On the staff

1925

Mr B Rowbotham

joined the Bank Here

1930

Mr A H Nutt

Pro Manager

1935 to 1936

Mr F J Brennell

Pro Manager

1936 to 1938

Sep 1.jpg

1938 to 1942 Mr W S Moorhouse Pro Manager MBM-Wi62P53.jpg

1941 to 1947 Mr H Dickman Manager MBM-Au47P15.jpg

1941 to 1961 Mr R F O Lee Pro Manager MBM-Su61P53.jpg

1942 to 1960 Mr A E Knight Pro Manager MBM-Sp65P51.jpg

1945 to 1947 Mr T R Mawdsley joined the bank here MBM-Su65P06.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Mr W S Moorhouse

Pro Manager

1938 to 1940

Mr H Dickman

Manager

1941 to 1947

Mr R F O Lee

Pro Manager

1941 to 1961

Mr A E Knight

Pro Manager

1942 to 1960

Mr H Shimmin

Pro Manager

1943 to 1946

Mr T R Mawdsley

Joined the Bank Here

1945 to 1947

Sep 1.jpg

1947 to 1958 Mr G Hollows Manager MBM-Wi58P54.jpg

1951 to 1969 Miss M A Betts MBM-Su69P62.jpg

1958 to 1963 Mr W Odber Manager MBM-Wi63P55.jpg

1960 to 1964 Mr F P Wilson Pro Manager MBM-Au64P06.jpg

1961 to 1965 Mr G Barnes Limited Auth MBM-Sp65P04.jpg

1963 Mr I G Clark MC Manager MBM-Wi63P07.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Mr T Hollows

Manager

1942 to 1958

Miss M A Betts

On the Staff

1951 to 1969

Mr W Odber

Manager

1958 to 1963

Mr F P Wilson

Pro Manager

1960 to 1964

Mr G Barnes

Limited Authority

1961 to 1965

Mr I G Clark MC TD

Manager

1963 onwards

Sep 1.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

Mr J A Cole

Ltd Auth 1964 to 1966

Pro Manager 1966 onwards

Mr H V Bateson

Pro Manager

1964 to 1967

Mr J D Hall

First Cashier (Retiring)

? to 1968

 

 

 

 

BARCLAYS BANK LIMITED

Lord Street

1946 District Bank Logo from Cheque - MBAx1

DISTRICT BANK LIMITED

253 Lord Street

Ainsdale

Banks

Birkdale

Chapel Street

Churchtown

Hillside

137 Manchester Road

LLOYDS BANK LIMITED

Southport

Churchtown

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

MARTINS BANK LIMITED

365 Lord Street

Ainsdale

Birkdale

Hillside

St Luke’s

Eastbank Street

MIDLAND BANK LIMITED

Lord Street

Ainsdale

Birkdale

Churchtown

Queen’s Road

NATIONAL PROVINCIAL BANK

367 Lord Street

Birkdale

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

WESTMINSTER BANK LIMITED

Lord Street

Birkdale

Hillside

Meols Cop

WILLIAMS DEACON’S BANK

Southport

Ainsdale

Birkdale

YORKSHIRE BANK LIMITED

Southport

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-09-80 Southport

Full Branch

PO Box 27 365 Lord Street Southport Lancashire

38 Liverpool

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Southport 2530 / 3884

Nightsafe Installed

Mr I G Clark MC TD Manager

Sub Branches

11-08-00 AINSDALE

11-73-00 BIRKDALE

11-54-30 SOUTHPORT EASTBANK STREET

11-45-70 SOUTHPORT ST LUKE'S

 

1901

 3 January 1928

15 December 1969

21 July 1978

 

opened by the Bank of Liverpool

Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-80-34 Southport 365 Lord Street

Closed

Sep 1.jpg

Gutinfo.jpg