Sep 1.jpg

North Eastern Banking Company

Sep 1.jpg

Our special thanks must go to friend of the archive, David J Watson, whose Martins’ Inspection experience has proved invaluable in helping us to sort out the extremely tangled history of this office. So here goes… Elswick Branch is opened in 1896 by the North Eastern Banking Company. It undergoes several minor changes of address, being recorded at 303 Scotswood Road until 1911, then 307 Scotswood Road until the amalgamation of the North Eastern Bank with the Bank of Liverpool in 1914, and from then until 1966 at 312 Scotswood road!  

By the mid 1960s, although Elswick is “on the agenda for treatment” as Martins Bank Magazine puts it, the years have taken their toll, and the decision is taken to close the Branch, but not immediately: - In 1964 the branch name is changed to Scotswood Road. 

In Service: 1896 until February 1964 (*see footnote)

Image © Martins Bank Archive Collections

Sep 1.jpg

In 1965 the Manager, Mr D J  Palmer transfers to North Eastern District General Manager’s Staff, and the branch downgrades to self accounting sub to newcastle Clayton Street.   In 1966 the building at 312 Scotswood Road is closed, and the business is moved to a better placed outlet further up Scotswood Road at Nos 50/52.   In the absence of any other images of 312 Scotswood Road, we are extremely thankful that Martins Bank Magazine printed the above exterior shot in its 1964 branch visit article, which appears a little further down this page. First of all we hear about Elswick as it was on 27 November 1958 when the Magazine made its first visit to the Branch…

The Scotswood Road was not looking its best on this November day and contemplation of the ruinous property scheduled for demolition is somewhat depressing. It is hard indeed to realise that this was where the elite of the city lived fifty years ago, before Jesmond and then Gosforth became fashionable. Our branch is housed in what used to be a tavern of some sort, though it looks more like a converted private house. Its manager used to live over the branch, but that was many moons ago. The office itself is bright and cheerful and roomy by comparison with some of the other branches not so far away. The business is typical suburban, and there being only one other banking office anywhere near, the branch does a good deal of work for other people.  We had the pleasure of meeting Miss Jarvis, a niece of Mr. J. C. McKendrick, former Manager at Gosforth, keeping up the family traditions worthily.

Sep 1.jpg

1964 01 MBM.jpgIt was nearly five o’clock on a cold winter’s day that we knocked on the door of Elswick Branch.  Mr D J Palmer and his staff may have been non-plussed by the irruption into their office of Mr Harry Taylor - the Assistant District Manager, and the Editor at such a time on such a day and Mr Palmer, though radiating cheerfulness, must have thought we were slightly mad when we said this was just the sort of branch we were seeking.  it was clean and well decorated but the heating pipes were blatantly waiting to discolour the paintwork, and with its cramped white tiles strongroom and pokey quarters, one could appreciate why the branch is on the agenda for treatment.

Elswick Staff – 1964

(Left to Right)

Sep 1.jpg

Mr D J Palmer (Manager)

Mr E L Duncan

Miss S Thomas

Miss G A Hopper

Miss A Smith

 

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr Andrew Smith

Joined the Bank Here

1903

Mr Robert Wallace

Joined the Bank Here

1906

Mr R Green

on the Staff

1909 to 1919

Mr E T Punshon

Joined the Bank Here

1914 to 1917

Mr H Cook

On the Staff

1924 to 1925

Mr H R D Musgrave

Manager

1932 to 1948

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr R J Pearson

Joined the Bank Here

1941 to 1942

Mr J Henderson

Manager

1948 to 1954

Mr M A Charlton

On the Staff

1955 to 1956

Miss A Smith

On the Staff

1964

Mr D J Palmer

Manager

1964 to 1965

Miss G A Hopper

On the Staff

1964

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr E L Duncan

On the Staff

1964

Miss S Thomas

On the Staff

1964

Mr J Stephenson

Clerk in Charge

1965 to 1966

 

 

 

 

 

For a full list of Banks operating in Newcastle upon Tyne at this time,

please visit our NEWCASTLE CITY OFFICE page.

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-53-70 Newcastle Upon Tyne Scotswood Road

Self Accounting sub to Newcastle Clayton Street

312 Scotswood Road Newcastle upon Tyne 4

325 North Eastern

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Newcastle 24878

Nightsafe Installed

Mr J Stephenson Clerk in Charge

 

 

Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Denton Burn

1896

1911

7 August 1914

1914

18 December 1918

3 January 1928

February 1964

Opened by North Eastern Banking Company at 303 Scotswood Road

Business moves/address changes to 307 Scotswood Road

Bank of Liverpool

Business moves/address changes to 312 Scotswood Road

Bank of Liverpool and Martins Limited

Martins Bank Lmited

Closed and business tranferred to 50/52 Scotswood Road

Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Gallowgate

M

Sep 1.jpg