Sep 1.jpg

1960 s Wark Exterior BGA Ref 30-3070

Branch Images Barclays Ref 30/3070

Sep 1.jpg

1960 s Wark Exterior Close Up BGA Ref 30-3070

Opened in 1891, Wark is one of the large number of branches and sub-Branches that are inherited in 1914 with the amalgamation of the Bank of Liverpool and the North Eastern Banking Company. Under Martins Bank, Wark closes in 1939 until 1946 for the duration of World War 2, as the Bank is faced with an ever dwindling supply of staff being called up for National Service. One of two sub-Branches to Bellingham (pronounced Bellin-jam), Wark opens for just two and a half hours each week, serving a small number of local businesses and private customers. Nevertheless this branch remains open until 1992 (a total of one hundred and one years), despite many larger outlets facing the axe well before that date.

Sep 1.jpgSep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-53-00 Wark

Sub to 11-53-00 Bellingham

Main street Wark Hexham Northumberland

308 North Eastern

Wed and Fri 1000-1115

No Saturday Service

Wark 611

Counter Service Only

Mr C H Bramwell Manager

image017

24 September 1891

7 August 1914

18 December 1918

3 January 1928

1939

1946

15 December 1969

27 March 1992

Opened by the North Eastern Bank

Bank of Liverpool

Bank of Liverpool and Martins Limited

Martins Bank Limited

Closed for World War II

Reopened

Barclays Bank Limited 20-06-12 Bellingham

Closed

Gutinfo.jpg