Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank 1928+

Sep 1.jpg

1966 COA.jpgNorth Hykeham, like many places that are towns in their own right, suffers from having been swallowed up in the suburban growth of the City of Lincoln.  It has its own coat of arms, and its own town council, another claim to fame for North Hykeham being that it once had its very own Branch of Martins Bank – for just two and a half years!  Opened in 1966 and closed at the time of the merger with Barclays in 1969, North Hykeham – as a Sub Branch to Lincoln -  is another in the bold southwards expansion and consolidation of the Bank’s Midland District Branch network.  Surplus to Barclays’ future requirements it exists for so little time.  Luckily the images on this page remain as possibly the only reminder of North Hykeham Branch – blink and you’ll miss it…  North Hykeham is staffed by one cashier and guard only.   Daily transactions are maintained in a till book and by hand written waste sheets which are taken back to main branch at closing time. Behind the counter is desk space for the number of staff you would expect to find in a main branch.  The door to the rear of this photograph is to the Manager's office, never actually used. Nor is the upper floor which has space for machine and staff rooms. Martins have no doubt laid out this office in anticipation of increased business.

Sep 1.jpg

1966 North Hykeham Exterior Bollards removed BGA Ref 30-2096

Image © Barclays Ref: 0030/2096

1966 North Hykeham Interior 1 BGA Ref 30-3096.jpg

1966 North Hykeham Interior 2 BGA Ref 30-2096.jpg

Images © Barclays Ref:30/2096

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-45-50 North Hykeham

Sub to 11-45-50 Lincoln

14 The Forum North Hykeham Lincoln Lincolnshire

569 Midland

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Lincoln 29852

Nightsafe Installed

Mr Fergus Lumsden (Clerk in Charge)

1966

12 December 1969

opened by Martins Bank Limited

Closed

 

Gutinfo.jpg