Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank opens a Branch at Dudley, in the heart of the Black Country in 1961, sharing these plain but functional premises with an insurance company in a nicely built “mirror-image” kind of building. (See below).  Set back from the road, the branch has easy access, and on the inside it benefits from a spacious banking hall.  Dudley is retained by Barclays at the time of the 1969 merger, and is kept open for a further fourteen years. Shortly after the branch is opened by Martins, Martins Bank Magazine takes a drive out to Dudley to produce the following feature article for its Winter 1961 edition…

Sep 1.jpg

1961 04 MBM.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1961 Dudley Exterior 2 BGA Ref 30-853

Branch Images © Barclays 0030/0853

 

Sep 1.jpg

Although the Black Country is very much built up so that one motors out from Birmingham to places like Dudley through what seems to be a completely built-up area, Dudley has managed to preserve its own individuality, though it took a car ride, painstakingly organised by Mr. J. E. Davies, Manager of our new branch there, to enable us properly to appraise the County Borough of Dudley. Despite the fact that these Midland towns owe their present importance to the coalfields and the Industrial Revolution, the history of Dudley, for example, goes back much further than that, and, in fact, it appears in the Domesday Book in which reference is made to William Fitz Ansculf, who 'holds Dudley and there is his castle'.

Branch Images © Barclays 0030/0853

The ruined castle which now dominates the countryside, the view from whose walls embraces nine counties, is not the original edifice. This was demolished in the 12th century on the orders of Henry II as a punishment for the owner's support of the rebellion of Prince Henry against his father. It was rebuilt between 1265 and around 1312 and was largely destroyed by fire in 1750.   The first surprise one gets on touring Dudley is to find the number of green and pleasant' places it contains, even an occasional tree-lined street, while four miles out in one direction there is open country. The second surprise is to find some extremely fine modern buildings with very gracious settings, such as the Council House, as fine a set of mun­icipal offices as we have seen anywhere. And that brings us to our new branch. With the co-operation of all concerned we and the Royal Insurance Company have been allowed to add a building which Dudley can be proud of.  Situated right opposite the General Post Office, the two-storeyed building houses the Bank in its left wing and the 'Royal' in its right, the first floor rooms supported by a colonnade through which one will eventually pass into gardens and parkland now being laid out by the Corporation. The building is well set back from the street, with its own car park in front, and with the garden setting at the rear with public access beside our branch it cannot fail to impress favourably all who see it. The Bank's hanging sign and that of the 'Royal' are mounted on posts set in the ground at the front of the car park. The interior is attractively planned and tastefully furnished, with plenty of room for expansion.

Sep 1.jpg

1961 Dudley Interior BGA Ref 30-853

 

Sep 1.jpg

It is the sort of branch which gives forth a friendly and homely feeling and one in which the staff can take a pride. A sign of the passing of time is to be found in the appointment of a Midland District man to be the first manager. Mr. K. R. Chance, who opened the branch at Shirley, was the first; Mr. J. E. Davies is the second. The District is now old enough to be producing some of its own management personnel, a very good and healthy sign. Mr. Davies was educated at Oldbury County High School, and entered the Bank in 1953. He has served at Wednesbury, Walsall, Birmingham City Office, Birmingham Five Ways and at Midland District Office, where he had an all-round training both on Outdoor Inspection and on the loan side. He was a founder member of Oldbury Round Table and is now its Chairman. He is also a member of the British Junior Chamber of Commerce in Birmingham. Second-in-command is Mr. A. Warren who was until recently Accountant at Birmingham City Office, a post which he unfortunately had to relinquish owing to temporary ill-health. We first had the pleasure of meeting him on the occasion of our visit to Kidderminster in 1957 and the new branch is fortunate in having such a sound and experienced man to help it along. An additional man had not then been appointed, but on the day of our visit Mr. B. J. Dale, from the Midland District Relief staff was there. The ladies are represented by Miss C. M. Sandel who entered the Bank in 1960 at Kidderminster. The new branch should do well in this busy place and the staff are certainly keen to put their branch on the map.

Sep 1.jpg

Now well into its fifth decade, the building at 23 Wolverhampton Street Dudley is still looking good.  There is evidence that a night safe or letter box has been removed and bricked over, and of course the name above the door has changed…

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1961 to 1967 Mr J E Davies Manager MBM-Su67P08.jpg

1961 Miss C M Sandel MBM-Wi61P08.jpg

1961 Mr A Warren MBM-Wi61P08.jpg

1961 Mr B J Dale MBM-Wi61P08.jpg

1966 to 1968 Mr J T Parsons Limited Authority MBM-Wi68P07.jpg

1967 Mr MV Weare Manager MBM-Su67P02.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr J E Davies

Manager

1961 to 1967

Miss C M Sandel

On the Staff

1961

Mr A Warren

On the Staff

1961

Mr B J Dale

On the Staff

1961

Mr J T Parsons

Limited Authority

1966 to 1968

Mr M V Weare

Manager

1967 onwards

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1969 Mr P T Ryder Pro Manager MBM-Su69P14.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr P T Ryder

Pro Manager

1969

 

 

 

 

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-42-30 Dudley

Full Branch

23 Wolverhampton Street Dudley Worcestershire

557 Midland

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Dudley 54095 & 54103

Nightsafe Installed

Mr M V Weare Manager

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-12-20 BRIERLEY HILL

Self accounting Sub to 11-42-30 Dudley

54 High Street Brierley Hill Staffordshire

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Brierley Hill 78348

Nightsafe Installed

Mr A Warren Clerk in Charge

 

1961

15 December 1969

February 1983

Currently

Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-27-18 Dudley Wolverhampton Street

Closed

Recruitment Agency

Gutinfo.jpg