Sep 1.jpg

1966 Refit and Rebuild MBM-Au66FC.jpgThe Bank of Liverpool and Martins opens a sub branch at Hendon in Sunderland in 1924.  It is one of a long line of branches in this part of the North East, many of which come to Martins Bank through the merger of the North Eastern Bank with the Bank of Liverpool. We have no images of the branch, but we do have most of the branch details in the specification section below. If you can help with images and/or information about this or any of Martins Bank’s 930+ other branches, please do get in touch with us at the usual address gutinfo@btinternet.com . Hendon sub-Branch is closed by Martins in 1964, and replaced by another one nearby in GRANGETOWN.  Whilst this is a modern replacement, it is still sadly surplus to Barclays’ requirements, and is closed in the Summer of 1969 before the merger takes place…

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-02-90 Sunderland Hendon                                       

Sub to 11-40-80 Sunderland

53 Suffolk Street Hendon Sunderland County Durham

361 North Eastern

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Sunderland 2034

Counter Only

Mr A M Galley Manager

1 July 1924

3 January 1928

31 December 1942

1946

1964

Opened by the Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Closed for World War II

Re-opened

Closed and business transferred to GRANGETOWN

Gutinfo.jpg