Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

Image © Barclays 1927

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

Where Southgate, Northgate, Westgate and Church Street converge, “The Cross” is is host to some of the most architecturally attractive buildings in the small Yorkshire town of Elland. The Bank of Liverpool and Martins acquires two Branches in the town through its amalgamations first with the Halifax Equitable Bank, and then the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank, in 1927 and 1928 respectively.  Ultimately, consolidation will decree that only one Branch can be operated at Elland, and by the end of 1928, the office at No 1 Southgate is retained at the sacrifce of “The Cross”, No 102 Southgate. Sadly we have no images of 102 Southgate, nor indeed of the staff who worked there albeit briefly under Martins Bank.  As sual we do have the available Branch information and history below…

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours :

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-322 Elland The Cross

Sub to 11-322 Halifax Commercial Street

The Cross 102 Southgate Elland Yorkshire

731 Manchester

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0930-1100

Elland 128

Counter Service

Mr A L Denison Manager

Pre 1927

13 July 1927

3 January 1928

1928

Currently

Opened by the Halifax Equitable Bank

The Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Closed

Golden Dragon Chinese Takeaway

Gutinfo.jpg