Sep 1.jpg

image024Martins Bank first sets up shop in Guildford in 1939 under the management of Mr E D R Whittaker, and operates from 150 High Street for the next twenty-one years.  In need of better premises, the Bank secures 172 High Street and relocates the Branch in 1961.  The image of the Branch is from a private collection of Martins Bank’s Southern Counties Branches, which may be the only photographs still in existence of some Branches as they were in the 1950s.  (See also Reading) . Our staff gallery below shows some of the staff who worked at the original branch site up to 1961.  The remainder can be seen on our page for Guildford 172 High Street.  At the time of the move to no 172, the Manager is Mr R C Reekie who is about to retire from Martins after a long and distinguished career.  As usual, Martins Bank Magazine is on hand to record the goodbyes, and the highlights of a forty-four year career…

Sep 1.jpg

1961 02 MBM.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1953 September Guildford Exterior CU Geoff Taylor.jpg

Image © Geoff Taylor Collection

Sep 1.jpg

1948 to 1961 Mr R C Reekie Manager CU MBM-Su61P57Mr. R. G. Reekie, M.B.E., Manager at Guildford since 1948, retired at the end of April after 44 years' service. To mark the occasion he invited a number of his colleagues, including the staff of the branch and their wives, to a cocktail party at the County Club, Guildford, among those present being Mr. F. C. Hardman, London Assistant District Manager; Mr. F. E. Gillham, Assistant Staff Manager (London), and Mr. Swindlehurst.

 

A tribute to Mr. Reekie's service was paid by Mr. Hardman after which Mr. McOnegal, who has worked with Mr. Reekie during the entire period of his management at Guildford, expressed the good wishes of the staff and presented him with a camera and a book of signatures on their behalf. Mrs. Reekie was presented with a bouquet. In his reply Mr. Reekie thanked his staff for their loyal co-operation at all times. Mr. Reekie commenced his banking career with Glyn Mills in 1917 and entered Martins Bank in 1942 as Assistant Manager at Oxford, being appointed Manager at Guildford six years later. He was awarded the M.B.E., in 1958 and was elected to the Surrey County Council at the recent election.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1939 to 1939 Mr E D R Whittaker Manager MBMAu64P54.jpg

1943 to 1946 Mr J R K Dean MBM-Su65P03.jpg

1947 to 1969 Mrs C J W Broughton MBM-Su69P60.jpg

1948 to 1961 Mr R C Reekie Manager MBM-Su61P57.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr E D R Whittaker

opened this Branch as Manager 1939 to 1945

Mr J R K Dean

On the Staff

1943 to 1946

Mrs C J W Broughton

On the Staff

1947 to 1961

Mr R C Reekie

Manager

1948 to 1961

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-20-40 Guildford

Full Branch

150 High Street Guildford Surrey

451 London

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Guildford 68337

Night safe Installed

Mr R C Reekie Manager

 

12 March 1939

1961

Opened by Martins Bank Limited

Closed and Moved to 172 High Street

Gutinfo.jpgx