A000 11-29-00 Ashington A

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

The Bank’s Branch at Ashington is one of the first to be constructed and opened following the creation, in 1928, of the modern-day Martins Bank. No.9 Station Road, is converted from shop premises into a handsome looking Branch in 1929 and opened early January 1930. The original Ashington branch was opened in September 1892 by the North Eastern Banking Company, in the Market Place, from where business was transacted for some thirty-eight years before being moved.

Sep 1.jpg

In Service: January 1930 until 16 July 2021

Sep 1.jpg

1959 Ashington Exterior Close Up BGA 33-29.jpg 

All Branch Images © Barclays Ref 0033/0029

The directors of Martins Bank felt that the older branch was not only unsuitable for use as a bank, but also too far away from the footfall of business in the town, and that sealed the fate of the Market place premises.   The amalgamation of the North Eastern Bank with the Bank of Liverpool, provided Martins Bank with a comprehensive coverage of the North East. When Martins Bank Magazine visits Ashington and several other North Eastern outlets for its Autmn 1965 edition, the article is produced under the title of “As and Bs in Northumberland”.  As a result, very little detail is given about any of the branches visited, apart from a staff group photo and a sentence or two of detail!

Sep 1.jpgSep 1.jpg

1965 03 MBM.jpgAshington is a true colliery town, but with a fine roomy branch, and a business dominated by coal and light industry.  Even in this bustling community one senses that the sea and the country are close enough to imbue the place and the inhabitants with a breezy resilience often lacking in the more cooped-up towns.

Standing – J Hall

R B Cox (Pro Manager)

R Luke

D C Smith

Miss P Nelson

Miss P K Surtees

Miss H Mossman

 

Seated – Miss A Rickeard

G T Straughan (Manager)

Mrs J Marshall

Mrs D Nesbit

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

1903 to 1914 Mr R M Goldie MBM-Su47P26.jpg

1918 to 1920 Mr T A Wedderburn joined the bank here MBM-Wi61P51.jpg

1919 to 1933 later 1938 to 1950 Mr S Brown Manager CU MBM-Wi57P43.jpg

1941 to 1946 Mr D J Rutter MBM-Au61P40.jpg

1942 to 1943 Mr P D Hoyle joined the bank here MBM-Au64P03.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Mr R Goldie

On the Staff

1903 to 1914

Mr T A Wedderburn

Joined the Bank Here

1918 to 1920

Mr S Brown

Joined here 1919-33

Manager 1938-50

Mr A Galley

On the Staff

1941 to 1942

Mr D J Rutter

On the Staff

1941 to 1946

Mr P D Hoyle

Joined the Bank Here

1942 to 1943

Sep 1.jpg

1950 to 1951 Mr TB Todd joined the bank here MBM-Au65P02.jpg

1956 to 1958 Mr M C Bruce joined the bank here MBM-Sp68P04.jpg

1958 to 1960 then from 1964 Mr GT Straughan Manager MBM-Sp65P03.jpg

1960 to 1962 Mr W McCullagh Pro Manager MBM-Wi65P02.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Mr T B Todd

Joined the Bank Here

1950 to 1951

Mr M B Bruce

Joined the Bank Here

1956 to 1958

Mr R W MacKenzie

Pro Manager

1956 to 1958

Mr G T Straughan

On the Staff 1958-60

Manager 1964 onwards

Mr R Dawson

Manager

1958 to 1964

Mr W McCullagh

Pro Manager

1960 to 1962

Sep 1.jpg

1965 Mr JK Lindsay pro Manager MBM-Wi65P06.jpg

1969 Mr A A Ashcroft Pro Manager MBM-Au69P11.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Mr R B Cox

Pro Manager

1962 to 1965

Mr J K Lindsay

Pro Manager

1965

Mr A A Ashcroft

Pro Manager

1969

 

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

LLOYDS BANK LIMITED

MARTINS BANK LIMITED

MIDLAND BANK LIMITED

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

Martins Bank Limites 11-29-00 Ashington

Full Branch

9 Station Road Ashington Northumberland

304 North Eastern

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Ashington 2218 / 2518

Nightsafe Installed

Mr G T Straughan Manager

Sep 1.jpg

11-29-00 Newbiggin by the Sea

 

Ashington (Market Place)

January 1930

15 December 1969

16 July 2021

Relocated from Market Place by Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-02-68 Ashington

Closed Permanently from 12 Noon

Ashton under Lyne

Sep 1.jpg