Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank’s Branch at Ashington is one of the original branches of the North Eastern Banking Company Limited, opened by them in 1893.  This is twenty-one years before the North Eastern Bank merges with the Bank of Liverpool, an amalgamation that provides Martins Bank with a comprehensive coverage of the North East.  Barclays Group Archives tell us that by 1929 the premises at Market Place are deemed by the directors of Martins Bank to be “not suitable, and some distance from the trading centre of the town”.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

A new branch is constructed at a former shop premises at 9 STATION ROAD , a branch which is still open today. It was common for Martins Bank to take out an advertisement in the local press when a branch was being opened, moved or closed, and often the advertising contained the Bank’s Coat of Arms and often some generic content that mentioned one or more of ther services on offer from the Bank. In the case of Ashington’s move to Station Road, we have only been able to find this short piece written in the form of a news article, which may have been paid for in partnership with the architects, whose company name and building styles have prominence within the prose.

Image © Johnstone Press. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD 

Image reproduced with kind permissionof The British Newspaper Archive

Thanks also to Barclays Group Archives

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1903 to 1914 Mr R M Goldie MBM-Su47P26.jpg

1918 to 1920 Mr T A Wedderburn joined the bank here MBM-Wi61P51.jpg

1919 to 1933 later 1938 to 1950 Mr S Brown Manager CU MBM-Wi57P43.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

Mr R Goldie

On the Staff

1903 to 1914

Mr T A Wedderburn

Joined the Bank Here

1918 to 1920

Mr S Brown

Joined the Bank here

1919 to 1933

 

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

Martins Bank Limites 11-29-00 Ashington

Full Branch

Market Road Ashington Northumberland

304 North Eastern

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Ashington 2218 / 2518

Counter Service

Mr Edwin Henry Amos

Sep 1.jpg

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-036 NEWBIGGIN BY THE SEA

 

20 September 1892

7 August 1914

18 December 1918

3 January 1928

January 1930

Opened by North Eastern Banking Company

Bank of Liverpool

Bank of Liverpool and Martins Limited

Martins Bank Limited

Closed and moved to 9 Station Road Ashington

Gutinfo.jpgx