Sep 1.jpg

Mercantile Bank of Lancashire

Sep 1.jpg

At the time of the amalgamation of the Mercantile Bank of Lancashire with the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank in 1904, a number of key Cheshire branches are inherited.

Sep 1.jpg

Image Barclays 1928

Sep 1.jpg

Image BT 1932

Sep 1.jpg

Close enough to the city to these days be called part of Greater Manchester, they represent many of the more well to do areas, including West Didsbury, Timperley and Bramhall. Amongst them at 551 Wilbraham Road is Chorlton-cum-Hardy, a Branch that sadly is destroyed by enemy action in December 1940. Martins has to write off the building and look for alternative premises. The District Bank owns a property at 587/9 Wilbraham Road, which used to be a Branch of the County Bank. Martins rents this building for a number of years before agreeing to purchase it from the District Bank at a price of 10,000 There are no photographs of the original Branch at 551 Wilbraham Road, and its existence is currently confirmed by its telephone book entry from the 1930s, shown above. You can see an image of the replacement premises, and a gallery of Chorlton cum Hardy Staff HERE.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-192 Manchester Chorlton cum Hardy

Full Branch

551 Wilbraham Road Manchester 21

721 Manchester

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

CHOrlton-c-H 3022

Nightsafe Installed

Mr S H Owen Manager (up to 1940)

By 1904

1 July 1904

3 January 1928

December 1940

Opened by the Mercantile Bank of Lancashire

Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank

Martins Bank Limited

Destroyed by Enemy Action Business relocated to 587/9 Wilbraham Road

Gutinfo.jpg