Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Great Harwood is a branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank.  It survives the various mergers and it remains open as a branch of Barclays into the twenty-first century until the axe falls in the middle of November 2015. For the superstitious, to close permanently on Friday the Thirteenth would also have seemed perhaps a little insensitive. We have three short features from Martins Bank Magazine which focus on members of the the staff of Great Harwood branch at various points from 1916 right up to the end of Martins Bank in 1969, covering a retirement, a “blast from the past” and the Duke of Edinburgh’s award…

 

Sep 1.jpg

Branch Images on this page © Barclays Ref 0030/1108

Sep 1.jpg

1964 02 MBM.jpg1950 to 1963 Mr F Cowell Manager MBM-Su63P54.jpgOn the occasion of his retire­ment after forty-four years' service with the Bank Mr. F. Cowell (Manager, Great Harwood) enter­tained twenty present and former colleagues to dinner at the Dunkenhalgh Hotel, Clayton-le-Moors. Mr. T. E. Rigby, Mr. Cowell's successor, presented him on behalf of the subscribers with a transistor radio set and a cigarette box and expressed the sincere wishes of all present that Mr. Cowell would enjoy many years of good health and happiness.  Mr. N. R. Manser (Manchester Dis­trict Superintendent of Branches) expressed the thanks and good wishes of the District General Management. In his reply Mr. Cowell said the gifts would remind him of his many happy years in banking and of the friendships he had made during that time. Earlier, Mr. Cowell had lunched with Mr. E. H. Priestley (Manchester District General Manager). After entering the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank in 1919 Mr. Cowell served at Blackburn and Manchester before entering Man­chester District Office in 1938. The years 1942-46 were spent with H.M. Forces. In 1947 he returned to Blackburn branch as Account­ant and was appointed Manager at Great Harwood in 1950. Active in the affairs of the community, Mr. Cowell was at the time of his retirement Treasurer of Great Harwood U.D.C., Vice-President of the Institute of Bankers (East Lancashire Centre), and Immediate Past President of the Rotary Club of Great Har­wood and Rushton.

Sep 1.jpg

1957 01 MBM.jpgThose were the Days…

1916 Great Harwood Interior  MBM-Sp57P36.jpgThis nostalgic image appears in Martins Bank Magazine in the Spring of 1957, and shows three of the members of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank’s Great Harwood Staff behind the counter of the Branch in the year 1916…

Sep 1.jpg

There is a fascination about old photographs. We all keep them and when they are periodically brought to light the pages of memory are turned and the flood of reminis­cences brings back the happiness of days gone by. There is gladness in remembrance, and sadness, too, especially when we gaze upon the well-remembered faces of those who are no longer with us. These photographs have been re­ceived following our publication of the first selection in the autumn 1956 issue of the Magazine. They will recall past happiness and will serve to remind us that the institution we have served throughout our working lives has not grown old as we who have served it have aged. It has grown up and increased in stature and is going from strength to strength. In this we have all played our part and the accompanying photographs surely provide evidence of that esprit de corps which is such a valuable leaven in the life of a great business organisation.

Sep 1.jpg

1969 01 MBM.jpg1969 Elaine Barrett Staff MBM-Sp69P49.jpgFrom Marriage Guidance to police work…

Sep 1.jpg

A residential course on youth leadership, lectures on marriage guidance work,  and courses on home nursing and police work.  These were the varied pursuits undertaken by Elaine Barret of Great Harwood Branch to achieve her Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award.  She already has the Bronze and Silver Awards, and the two years’ work for her gold involved travelling to Belgium and Germany.  Elaine was presented with her Award at Buckingham Palace on 4 February.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1916 Mr F Parker MBM-Sp57P36

1916 Mr F Haslam MBM-Sp57P36

1916 Mr W Park MBM-Sp57P36

1920 Mr A H Cudworth joined the bank here MBM-Su65P56.jpg

1923 to 1932 Mr F Haslam MBM-Wi52P47.jpg

1925 Mr R Tanner joined the bank here MBM-Su59P04.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mr F Parker

On the Staff

1916

Mr F Haslam

On the Staff

1916

Mr W Park

On the Staff

1916

Mr A H Cudworth

Joined the Bank Here

1920

Mr F Haslam

On the Staff

1923 to 1932

Mr R Tanner

Joined the Bank Here

1925

 

 

 

 

 

 

1937 to 1941 Mr H Slater MBM-Wi65P05.jpg

1940 to 1942 Mr E Haslam MBM-Wi63P07.jpg

1941 to 1950 Mr A Spencer Manager MBM-Su56P50.jpg

1950 to 1963 Mr F Cowell Manager MBM-Su63P54.jpg

1969 Elaine Barrett Staff MBM-Sp69P49.jpg

BW Logo

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mr H Slater

On the Staff

1937 to 1941

Mr E Haslam

On the Staff

1940 to 1942

Mr A Spencer

Manager

1941 to 1950

Mr F Cowell

Manager

1950 to 1963

Miss E Barrett

On the Staff

1969

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

1946 District Bank Logo from Cheque - MBAx1

DISTRICT BANK LIMITED

MARTINS BANK LIMITED

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

Martins Bank Limited 11-14-40 Great Harwood

Full Branch

14 Queen Street Great Harwood Blackburn Lancashire

736 Manchester

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Gt Harwood 2107

Nightsafe Installed

Mr T E Rigby Manager

Sep 1.jpg

Ca. 1897

3 January 1928

15 December 1969

Friday 13 November 2015

Opened by Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank

Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-34-82 Great Harwood

Closed permanently from 12 Noon

Gutinfo.jpgx