Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

A building with character – that’s Martins Bank’s Branch at Great Crosby, opened in 1901 by the Bank of Liverpool. Just for once we can forgive them for not locating the Branch on a corner. The “Mock Tudor” look, has always been a favourite of Martins, and is reflected in the design of several new branches in the 1950s and 60s. Whilst Great Crosby’s building still draws customers, it is as a public house, rather than a bank, as Barclays moved the business to a location nearer to the hub of Great Crosby’s shopping area. At the end of August 1964, another of Martins’ great characters, Mr Moncrieff retires after a collosal 48 years in the service of the bank, and he actually commenced that service under the Bank of Liverpool itself!

Sep 1.jpg

1960 s Great Crosby Exterior BGA Ref 30-1107

Branch Images on this page © Barclays Ref 30/1107

Sep 1.jpg

1955 to 1964 Mr A D Moncreiff Manager MBM-Wi64P51.jpg1964 04 MBM.jpgmr moncreiff's retirement from the management of Great Crosby branch at the end of August was marked by a gathering at the branch of some 40 past and present colleagues, many of whom had travelled a long way. Mr I. Buchanan (Liverpool District General Manager) said he welcomed the opportunity to salute a remarkable col­league—a Glaswegian, the oldest serving member of the staff, and one who shared with the Chief General Manager the distinction of being the last of the manage­ment from the original Bank of Liverpool. Of Mr Moncreiff's 48 years' service, 30 had been spent as a manager and it was no breach of confidence to state that his starting salary in 1916 was £25 per annum and that it took him five years to reach £100 per annum! He was a founder-member of Head Office Staff Department in 1926 and though his first management came at the age of 34—a considerable distinction in those days—he was still regarded as the fittest, youngest and most debonair of our man­agers.

Sep 1.jpg

1960 s Great Crosby Interior BGA Ref 30-1107

1941 July Great Crosby Cheque - S Walker MBA.jpg

Image © Martins Bank Archive Collection

He thanked Mr Moncreiff most warmly on behalf of the General and District Management and wished him and his wife every happiness in retirement. Mr Moncreiff was presented with a cheque to which many friends had sub­scribed and Mrs Moncreiff was handed a bouquet by Miss Margaret Harrison. In a short speech Mr Moncreiff thanked Mr Buchanan not only for the kind things he had said but for not saying much that he might have said.

 

He was grateful to the Bank for many things, notably the number of friends he had been able to make on both sides of the counter. He referred particularly to his colleagues over the years and included a gracious tribute to Mrs Pitt for her care of the branch premises. In conclusion Mr K. Harris-Hughes (Manager, Cardiff) expressed the thanks of all present to Mr and Mrs Moncreiff for their generous hospitality and wished them well, adding that young people like Mr Moncreiff never retire—they merely change their mode of life. Mr Moncreiff entered the service at Central branch, Liverpool, in 1916, serving at several branches in the Liverpool area and as a visiting inspector before joining Head Office Staff Department in 1926. In 1935 he was appointed Manager at Colwyn Bay and moved to Great Crosby as Man­ager in 1955.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1905 Mr F A Dew joined the bank here MBM-Su51P26.jpg

1927 to 1928 Mr R H B Whittam joined the bank here MBM-Sp64P06.jpg

1935 to 1955 Mr N A Milroy Manager MBM-Sp56P50.jpg

1949 to 1950 Mr W A Inglis joined thr bank here MBM-Su67P06.jpg

1955 to 1959 Lim Auth then Pro Mgr then 1964 MR WJM Scott Manager MBM-Wi64P05.jpg

1955 to 1964 Mr A D Moncreiff Manager MBM-Wi64P51.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr F A Dew

Joined the Bank Here

1905

Mr R H B Whittam

Joined the Bank Here

1927 to 1928

Mr N A Milroy

Manager

1935 to 1955

Mr W A Inglis

Joined the Bank Here

1949 to 1950

Mr W J M Scott

Ltd Auth 1955 to 1959

Manager 1964 onwards

Mr A D Moncreiff

Manager

1955 to 1964

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1959 to 1964 Mr CGS Tiffin Pro Manager MBM-Sp64P07.jpg

1962 Miss Valerie Tilley Staff CU MBM-Su62P27.jpg

1964 to 1965 Mr J D Winckles pro Manager MBM-Sp64P08.jpg

1965 Mr AM Lee pro Manager MBM-Au65P02.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr C G S Tiffin

Pro Manager

1959 to 1964

Miss Valerie Tilley

On the Staff

1962

Mr J D Winckles

Pro Manager

1964 to 1965

Mr A M Lee

Pro Manager

1965

 

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-13-40 Great Crosby

Full Branch

31 Liverpool Road Great Crosby Liverpool L23 5SD

20 Liverpool

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

GREat Crosby 6511/2

Nightsafe Installed

Mr W J M Scott Manager

 

1901

18 December 1918

3 January 1928

1969

1992

Currently

The Bank Of Liverpool

The Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited

Closed and moved by Barclays to 1 Liverpool Road

Original Branch is now a Public House

Gutinfo.jpgH