Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank 1928+

Sep 1.jpg

A very short shelf life…

Sep 1.jpg

image076Martins Bank builds on the success of its Newport High Street and Maindee branches, by opening a second self accounting sub branch at Commercial Road.  This will be one of the last of the Bank’s outlets to display the iconic hanging sign of the Grasshopper and Liver Bird Coat of Arms.  By late 1966 the Liver Bird will have been consigned to the scrapheap, leaving only the Grasshopper to record Martins long and distinguished history.  The 1960s sees a second incursion by the Bank into the south of England and Wales, and some attractive new branches are developed and opened.

Sep 1.jpg

1965 Newport Commercial Road Exterior BGA No Ref.jpg

Image © Barclays Ref 0033-0407

Sep 1.jpg

It is inevitable that when Barclays merges with Martins, there will be a number of areas where the combined bank will have too many branches in a particular town, and some of these will be forced to close.  Commercial Road is one of them, closing along with Maindee Branch on 12 December 1969.  The Business of both Branches is transferred to the control of Barclays 59 High Street Branch. It is sad enough that Maindee is to close, only nine years after opening, but Commercial Road draws an even shorter straw, having only been open since 1965.  Both are examples of the kind of new style Martins branches we might have seen continuing to open across England and Wales, if the merger had not taken place…

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1965 Mr DG Richards Clerk in Charge MBM-Su65P07.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

Mr D G Richards

First and only Clerk in Charge – 1965 to 1969

 

 

 

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-09-30 Newport Commercial Road

Self Accounting Sub to 11-38-60 Newport

35 Commercial Road Newport Monmouthshire

158 South West

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Newport 66496

Nightsafe Installed

Mr D G Richards pro Manager

1965

12 December 1969

opened by Martins Bank Limited

Closed and Business transferred to Barclays 59 High Street

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Gutinfo.jpg