Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank 1928+

Sep 1.jpg

What’s missing in Maindee?

As they walk along the streets, do the people of the Newport suburb of Maindee realise that what is missing from their lives is their own branch of Martins Bank?  We’ll never know, but if that is what they DO want, they won’t have long to wait as Head Office Architects are already “on the case”, prowling the area looking for a suitable location at which a shiny new branch can be sited.  Martins Bank has been in the Newport area since 1938, its branch at 18 High Street being one of the first in the Bank’s pioneering South Wales expansion.  Maindee will be the second of three Newport Branches, the third will be opened at Commercial in 1965.

Sep 1.jpg

1959 has been a great year for the Bank, and the story is proudly and lavishly told in that year’s Annual Report and Accounts.  The report is produced as a glossy booklet littered with colour images showing many of Martins Bank’s achievements and FIRSTS.  (See also AN ACCOUNT AT MARTINS BANK)  So what better time than now to begin a new wave of branch openings in the southern parts of England and Wales, showing everyone that not only is Martins Bank successful, but also very definitely a NATIONAL bank, not the “Small Northern Operation” often levelled at Martins by its competitors. The Bank happens upon 145 Chepstow Road, formerly occupied by Frank H Rudduck, and the architects and builders work their magic in Maindee.

Sep 1.jpg

 

Image © Barclays Ref 0030/1787

Sep 1.jpg

1960 Maindee Exterior 1 BGA Ref 30-1787

Branch Images © Barclays Ref 0030/1787

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1960 Maindee shop before conversion to bank BGA Ref 30-1787

Branch Images © Barclays Ref 0030/1787

 

 

1960 Maindee Interior 1 BGA Ref 30-1787

Sep 1.jpg

1960 Maindee Exterior 2 BGA Ref 30-1787

Branch Images © Barclays Ref 0030/1787

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

On the inside the new branch brings the traditional and open, friendly surroundings that Martins’ customers have come to enjoy and expect. Plenty of wood, vinyl floor, suspended ceiling and mellow but efficient lighting.  Surely this state of the art branch is enough to see off the Bank’s rivals?  It is after all 1960 – who needs a stuffy old stone ediface and darkened banking hall? Unfortunately for Maindee, the branch is another of those created AND closed completely during Martins’ time as a bank, and the doors shut forever on 12 December 1969.   There’s sad now, isn’t it?

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1960 to 1967 Mr C E Cross Clerk in Charge MBM-Au67P05

1960 to 1961 Mr D G Richards MBM-Su65P07

1967 Mr CJ Wall Clerk in Charge MBM-Au67P05

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

Mr C E Cross

First Clerk in Charge here

1960 to 1967

Mr D G Richards

On the Staff

1960 to 1961

Mr C J Wall

Clerk in Charge

1967 to 12/12/1969

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-85-50 Newport Maindee

Self Accounting Sub to 11-38-60 Newport

145 Chepstow Road Maindee Newport Monmouthshire

152 South Western

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Newport 67315

Nightsafe Installed

Mr C J Wall Clerk in Charge

1960

12 December 1969

Opened by Martins Bank Limited

Closed and Business transferred to Barclays Caerleon Road

sp4

 

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Gutinfo.jpg