Sep 1.jpg

Bank of Liverpool

Sep 1.jpg

Many large towns and cities in England have grown by swallowing up smaller communities, and often the names of these survive as areas or suburbs of the connurbation. Sometimes cities miles apart can each have a suburb with the same name, as in the case of  Kensington – not only an area London, but also a suburb of Liverpool. The Bank of Liverpool opens a Branch at 100 Kensington in 1893, and although it doesn’t quite make it to a century, it does last well beyond the merger with Barclays and into the 1980s.  Kensington has a sub-Branch at Liverpool’s STANLEY ABATTOIR, an association with local agriculture that goes back to the days of the Cattle Trade Bank in the 1920s. When Martins Bank Limited is created in 1928 there are TWO sub-Branches at STANLEY CATTLE MARKET. by 1930 these are closed and replaced by a permanent building at the brand new Stanley Meat and Cattle Market site.  Mr Stanley Webster is one member of the Branch staff that doesn’t make it to the merger, but he does have a happy reason – he retires in July 1969 after forty-four long years with the bank. A long career deserves a longer than usual write up in Martins Bank Magazine, which prints details of Mr Webster’s retirement in Autumn 1969…

 

Sep 1.jpg

1969 03 MBM.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

'A week that lifts tensions and eases jobs' was Stanley Webster's horoscope for the week he retired from Kensington branch, Liverpool, where he had been manager for the past six years.

Sep 1.jpg

1960 s Liverpool Kensington interior 2 BGA Ref 30-1671.jpg

 

 

Branch Images © Barclays Ref 0030/1671

Sep 1.jpg

1960 s Liverpool Kensington interior 1 BGA Ref 30-1671.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1963 to 1969 Mr S Webster Manager MBM-Au69P56.jpgTo mark the event he and Mrs Webster entertained sixty friends to a party at the Tudor Room, Fairfield, on July 30. Presenting a cheque and a retirement card containing the names of 140 subscribers throughout the country, Mr Ian Buchanan spoke of Mr Webster's consideration for his staff and of the esteem in which he was held by staff and customers alike.Mr Webster joined the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank at Castletown in 1925, transferring to Douglas seven years later. He came over to Liverpool in 1935 and was at Sefton Park until he joined the R.A.F. in 1941. On his return from war service he went to Blundellsands and in 1954 joined Inspection Depart­ment where his personality did much to improve the unfortunate image that tends to attach itself to these departments. 

Sep 1.jpg

A keen golfer—he had captained the Liverpool District Golfing Society—he had devoted much of his spare time time since coming to Kensington to the Anfield Boys Club, of which he is treasurer. After Mrs Webster had been presented with a bouquet by Miss Laura Gobbin, Mr Webster spoke of his delight at seeing so many of his associates on this special, but somewhat sad, occasion. There were three things, he said, which come unawares upon a mansleep, sin and old age. No doubt there would be more opportunities for getting more sleep and he thought there may be some tie-up between the other two. He had been fortunate in haying such variety in his banking life: during his years on inspection he had seen many parts of the country and eaten many good meals at the Bank's expense. Above all, he had made many friends and enjoyed good companionship, which had meant a great deal. Mr Webster will be using the cheque to buy a new television set as his old one had beaten him to retire­ment by ten days.

 

Sep 1.jpgSep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1921 Mr R C Webster joined the bank here MBM-Wi64P53

1936 to 1938 Mr W S M Wilson joined the bank here MBM-Au66P06

1938 to 1939 Mr M S Williams MBM-Wi63P08

1939 to 1947 Mr G H Grimshaw Manager MBM-Sp47P32

1945 to 1946 Mr P J Randle MBM-Su67P02

1947 to 1963 Mr T M Mason Manager MBM-Wi63P59

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr R C Webster

Joined the Bank Here

1921

Mr W S M Wilson

Joined the Bank Here

1936 to 1938

Mr H S Williams

On the Staff

1938 to1939

Mr G H Grimshaw

Manager

1939 to 1947

Mr P J Randle

On the Staff

1945 to 1946

Mr T N Mason

Manager

1947 to 1963

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

1963 to 1969 Mr S Webster Manager MBM-Au69P56

1966 Mr DB Scott pro Manager MBM-Au66P04

1969 Mr M McClay Manager MBM-Au69P10

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Mr S Webster

Manager

1963 to 1969

Mr D B Scott

Pro Manager

1968

Mr M McClay

Manager

1969

 

 

 

Sep 1.jpg

 

MARTINS BANK LIMITED

MIDLAND BANK LIMITED

Sep 1.jpg

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

Martins Bank Limited 11-06-50 Liverpool Kensington

Full Branch

304 Kensington Liverpool L7 2RS

25 Liverpool

Mon to Fri1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

051 263 3820

Nightsafe Installed

Mr S Webster Manager

Sub Branches

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington_files/image034.jpg

11-06-50 LIVERPOOL STANLEY ABATTOIR

October 1893

1900

 

18 December 1918

3 January 1928

15 December 1969

12 June 1987

Currently

A Branch of the Bank of Liverpool is opened at 100 Kensington

Moves to 304 Kensington (Listed in Gore’s Directory as Deane Street –

                                           304 Kensington shares a corner with Deane Street).

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Martins Bank Limited

Barclays Bank Limited 20-50-79 Liverpool Kensington

Closed

Youth and Skills Centre

00Gutinfo.jpg