Sep 1.jpg

Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Sep 1.jpg

The town of Middleton in Teesdale is just inside County Durham, and Martins Bank’s Branch there opens around 1920 and is closed at the time of the merger with Barclays in 1969.  It operates as a full branch, and opens full banking hours across a six day week.  The nearest branch to Middleton-in-Teesdale is Barnard Castle, another town just inside County Durham.

Sep 1.jpg

 

Middleton in teesdale.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Image © Barclays Ref 0030/1901

Sep 1.jpg

Martins Bank Magazine pays just one visit to Middleton in Teesdale Branch in 1951, and in a short article (which seems mainly to be concerned with the journey taken to get there) they meet the staff of what they refer to as “a little branch”…

Sep 1.jpg

1951 Middleton in Teesdale Staff MBM-Wi51P04.jpg1951 03 MBM.jpgWe took the moorland road for Middleton-in-Teesdale. The usual striking panorama was partly obscured by haze and thundery conditions, and on the very top there was slight fog. We saw the highest inhabited house in England, Grass Hill, and in the distance the source of the Tees. Not far from Middleton there is the first chain bridge in Europe, still in use; and on the lonely top stands a stout Youth Hostel, betraying its presence long before we reached it by the groups of pack-laden boys and girls toiling away from it in the heat. Right over the back of England we went, from Cumberland into Durham.  Middleton, although about the same size as Alston, and similar in character, both places being in the heart of farming country, is quite different in appearance. Time has stood still in Alston, but in Middleton can be seen one or two modern shop fronts; the streets are wider and the pace of life seems a trifle faster.  Mr. Dixon welcomed us to his little branch where he has been manager only a short time, so short that he has not yet moved into the Bank House from his home in Alston. The house is pleasant and there is a nice little plot of land at the back, but its location is not countrified as it was in Alston.  We did not meet Miss L. A. Robinson who was on holiday when we called, but we were glad to see Mr. S. Harling, the other member of the staff.

Sep 1.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

1928 to 1946 Mr E Farndale Manager MBM-Sp56P53.jpg

1929 to 1932 Mr W Dunn joined the bank here later Manager from 1946 to 1951 MBM-Au65P03.jpg

1951 Miss L A Robinson MBM-Wi51P04.jpg

1951 Mr S Harling MBM-Wi51P04.jpg

1951 to 1954 Mr H Dixon Manager MBM-Sp66P04.jpg

1954 to 1957 Mr F Stoker Manager MBM-Sp68P49.jpg

Sep 1.jpg

Mr E Farndale

Manager

1928 to 1946

Mr W Dunn

Joined the Bank Here

1929 to 1932

Miss L A Robinson

On the Staff

1951

Mr S Harling

On the Staff

1951

Mr H Dixon

Manager

1951 to 1954

Mr F Stoker

Manager

1954 to 1957

Sep 1.jpg

1957 to 1965 Mr W S Hall Manager MBM-Au65P03.jpg

1965 Mr J Rundle Manager MBM-Au65P04.jpg

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

BW Logo

Sep 1.jpg

Mr W S Hall

Manager

1957 to 1965

Mr J Rundle

Manager

1965 onwards

 

 

 

Title:

Type:

Address:

Index Number and District:

Hours:

 

Telephone:

Services:

Manager:

11-98-50 Middleton-in-Teesdale

Full Branch

9 Horsemarket Middleton-in-Teesdale  County Durham

381 North Eastern

Mon to Fri 1000-1500

Saturday 0900-1130

Middleton-in-Teesdale 219

Nightsafe Installed

Mr J Rundle Manager

1920

12 December 1969

Currently

Opened by Bank of Liverpool and Martins

Closed

Newsagents

Gutinfo.jpg